$$$

chipdouglas

Hey guys, I just graduated from college, but right now I am not willing to take on the crushing burden of debt it would require to go full time for my ATP. Consequently, I will work elsewhere and save up the money to do it all at once several years down the road.

To "subsidize" my time building, I suppose I'll eventually be a CFI, which means I have to finish up my PPL (currently 30 HRS TT) and move on for the IFR, MEL, COM, and CFI ratings. I haven't flown in 2 years (so the 30 hours may be meaningless now), and the longer I stay out of aviation, the better chance of never realizing my dream. My question is for those who have already spent the money and gone through the process:

How much $$$ should I save up before training full time?

Any related insight or suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

where i am training for a PPL (after thinking about it WAY too long...about 15 years) the total cost per hour runs around $160 (instructor rate included). So for my PPL at least, I have budgeted $10000-$12000. Just poke around the ads on this site and you will get an idea of what it costs from there onward. That's my (limited) insight for what it's worth.

I budgeted around 40K for my training. I'm in about 10K going into my instrument, which is a little over budget for what I had planned. However, a lot of the insight I've gained from contacts here at JC has saved me some money that I might have needlessly spent and I have a better idea of ways to make sure I stick within my budget. Like Ozone, average for an airplane (wet) with an instructor for me is around $160.

I've noticed that training costs really do differ in various regions though. Where do you live?

I'm just curious why you're going to do it all at once. You can pay as you go at just about any FBO. Even flying 3 or 4 hours a week you could knock out your ratings in 2 years.

Just my $1.57

If you want to knock it all out at once come fly here at skypark in wadsworth ohio. Wet for a 150 w/instructor will cost you about 70 bucks a hour. Airplane is 49.90 wet and instructor is 20 a hour for primary. For your instrument can be done for 100 dollars a hour in a 172 including instructor. Your single comm/cfi can be done for 165 a hour in a 182RG with instrcutor and your multi can be done for 220 a hour with instructor. If your not from the area I can even offer up a extra room where I live for free if your doing training wit me when the time comes. PM me for info. I would put the website on here but the mod told me I wasnt allowed to post websites in threads. So PM for website as well.

I am planning to do it for under 30k, PPL-CMEL.

I work full time and I am working on my IR currently. I was trying to pay as I go but I really can not afford the 1200 a month to fly 2-3 hours a week while trying to save and pay other bills.

My new plan is to take out a loan for 25k, consolidate the flight debt I have oms some credit cards and use the rest to finish training. I will be able to fly more often, finish sooner and save money by not needing to refresh myself when i get in the plane after 3 weeks if my previous lessons were cancled.

I will continue to work full time and pay down as much as I can each month towards the 25k while also continuing to save. I will then work towards my CFI and then hopefully instruct on nights and weekends to build hours.

When airlines start to bring back pilots who have been furloughed, then I will consider leaving my job to instruct full time. By then I should have the 25k paid off and a nice savings account.

That is the plan as of today....who knows what the future holds.

working nights is hard. Usually the only night guys I get are instrument training guys. Most other students train during the day (with the exception of the night req's for ppl) Weekends are more likely to bring you in some flight time.

I would consider other types of loans to cover the training rather than putting it on a credit card. You will pay outrageous interest rates for any loans you put on your credit card. If your going to do that you might as well bend over for the credit card company.

I took out a loan for 20k, and am putting in another 4k myself, I'm currently time building for my comm and should be able to get everything but my MEI.

Do it with as little debt as possible. I know that's been said quite a few times but it is quite important.

If you've never before, get a job waiting tables/bartending. Simply put, if you get in at a nice place (preferrably not an applebees/red robin type of place) you can make a considerable amount of money as well as have the days open to bust out the training. That's what I did. Made about 200-300 a shift, 4 days on 3 off and had ample cash when it came to paying the flying bills.

I should note that I initially got the 9-5 gig at a bank, figuring I'd build an alternative career (or at least build a resume'). While it was great in terms of upward mobility, working into managing the branch, it became all consuming and didn't allow the time I needed, rather, wanted. Thus, after a year and a half I bounced and starting making as much, even more, waiting tables and actually enjoying going to work. For those of you who havn't before, working in a restaurant, with the character of indivduals that are employed there, can be quite fun.

Anyway, good luck. Stay outta debt. Enjoy.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

FWIW...

I am in Seattle where prices are high ($160+ wet, and that was OVER 2 years ago). I will definitely look into rural options--around the country if necessary--as there is no reason to spend twice what I need to in Seattle. Seattle, of course, is famous for IFR weather, and the airports I have or was recommended to fly out of are PAE and BFI, the latter high-traffic. I guess it will come down to low costs, foreign state OR high costs, stay at home.

Credit/loans are a last resort for me. Already have $15k in college loans @ $200/mo. Don't want to take on more than I have to. Plus, I don't mind building a Plan B as long as I don't have to put off flying for too many years.

Seems like a lot of people are planning or on their way. Anybody been all the way through CFI recently and remember how much money (principal, not interest) it cost?

Thanks for the PMs, too. I will review.

I have the CFI checkride scheduled for April and in all it will cost me 20k. But I did alot of time building in my uncles airplane which burns auto fuel so I saved quite a bit. I figured if I did it all in Skypark planes woulda cost me around 25k. Thats 0-CFI. I paid all up front also I dont have to worry bout loans. Well I paid as I went I guess I should say. If I pass the ride in April it will be 16 months since I started flying. Coulda done it alot faster but I go to college and work so I was limited to how much time I could spend at the airport. Plus winters suck here. Maybe 4 flying days a month during winter.

Like everyone has said before, do it as cheaply as possible and with as little debt as possible.

Also, consider joining a flying club, as that should offer cheaper aircraft rental than an FBO, and most clubs have member CFIs to help you get your ratings, and other members to split time with.

Check out this website: http://www.studentflyingclub.com/flying-clubs-flight-schools.php?state=WA&sname=Washington The link to the first place doesn't work, try this http://www.beanie-air.com/exponent-0.96.3/ they have an IFR 152 for $86/hr wet which isn't too shabby.

If you want to knock it all out at once come fly here at skypark in wadsworth ohio. Wet for a 150 w/instructor will cost you about 70 bucks a hour. Airplane is 49.90 wet and instructor is 20 a hour for primary. For your instrument can be done for 100 dollars a hour in a 172 including instructor. Your single comm/cfi can be done for 165 a hour in a 182RG with instrcutor and your multi can be done for 220 a hour with instructor. If your not from the area I can even offer up a extra room where I live for free if your doing training wit me when the time comes. PM me for info. I would put the website on here but the mod told me I wasnt allowed to post websites in threads. So PM for website as well.
Uh-oh.

Back