757 Lands at FLL with Problems

TurdBird

Plane with problems lands safely at Fort Lauderdale airport

<dl class="byline">By Juan Ortega |South Florida Sun Sentinel<dd>8:07 AM EDT, March 16, 2009</dd></dl> FORT LAUDERDALE - A 757 jet with mechanical problems landed safely at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport shortly before 7:15 a.m.

No one was hurt as the plane landed on the north runway, said airport spokesman Greg Meyer.

The plane had departed from the airport at 6:40 a.m. on its way to Salt Lake City, Utah. But the pilot realized the plane was having some kind of mechanical problem, Meyer said.

That's when the pilot alerted airport officials and returned to the airport.

Meyer said after landing, the pilot couldn't steer the plane from the runway, so five other planes were forced to use an alternate runway in the meantime.

With help from a towing vehicle called a "tug," the plane was moved off the runway.

The plane caused no flight delays, Meyer said.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/sfl-bn-0316flight,0,6942598.story

Any ideas why it wouldn't be able to make it off the runway?

Hydraulic loss and lack of nose wheel steering maybe?

yep, it sounds like it was that. luckily there were no bypass pins involved like another one I have heard about where the ramp workerforgot to take it out and then the plane's nosewheel could not retract, so they had to land.

yep, it sounds like it was that. luckily there were no bypass pins involved like another one I have heard about where the ramp workerforgot to take it out and then the plane's nosewheel could not retract, so they had to land.

sadly, that happens more than you would think.

Any ideas why it wouldn't be able to make it off the runway?

The 757 has flight controls, flaps, slats, landing gear and nose wheel steering on the LEFT HYD system. Lose that system and you want to to stop on the runway and have one of those 'tug' things tow you to the gate.

As noted, it isn't a big deal and it does happen.

Almost my entire family was on this flight. The pilot informed all the passengers that he didn't have ability to turn and there was also some landing gear issues. Definitely glad it landed safely!!

Wow! Glad to hear everything worked out with the family.

Thanks to everyone for all your thoughts on the issue.

luckily there were no bypass pins involved.....
True story: One night I was working on the ramp in ANC handling some 747 flights by an unnamed 121 supplemental hauling additional postal volume from MEM to ANC. We were in a situation where we had to tow the aircraft into it's parking spot, so one of the company mechanics installed the bypass pin and after that we hooked up to tow the aircraft into its spot. We started moving the aircraft and as soon as the nosewheel got over to about 40 deg the bypass pin FELL OUT. Immeadiately the nose gear centered and snapped the towbar in half.

Crazy.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.....

Back