757 Jumpseat Picture

IT_Pilot

Doug,
Do you find it boosting your spirits or motivating when you get to jumpseat in a 757 (or larger) like that?
cool.gif

It might sound like a stupid question but I'm wondering how my staring from afar meets with reality.
grin.gif
I realize pilots move up on a seniority system, but does it help combat the burnout?

I've never been in a jump seat, but I did get to go first class once. It rocked!!
rawk.gif

Of course I didn't get to see all the gauges and the wonderful view from the front. Is the jumpseat actually akin to one of the fold downs that we always see the flight attendants in?

I'll take, in order:

1st Class

aisle or window seat in coach

jump seat

middle seat in coach

The view may be nice, but jumpseats are NOT comfy.

Especially the 75... The only time you can see anything is in flight. The best jumpseat was the L1011. Aft and to the left of the captain for takeoff and landing, then the second jumpseat in back during cruise flight.

I don't mind taking a jumpseat on 757-767's. They are somewhat comfortable and better than economy class.

I agree with Doug: L1011, best jumpseat, hands down.

Now I kinda like the 757 though. I rode on it from SFO-HNL, and was taught an interesting way to make a bed from the jumpseats. Fairly comfortable.
laugh.gif

Rip off the velcro back to the jumpseat. Lay it down sideways against the coat closet, and pull out the rollaboards under the other jumpseat for your feet.

Actually doesn't sound too bad!

You'd be amazed what you can make a bed out of if need be. I once slept on two rolling office chairs pushed together in the crew lounge in LGA. I was so tired, I actually got some sleep!

[ QUOTE ]
Actually doesn't sound too bad!

You'd be amazed what you can make a bed out of if need be. I once slept on two rolling office chairs pushed together in the crew lounge in LGA. I was so tired, I actually got some sleep!

[/ QUOTE ]

I've made beds in places I don't even want to talk about. A lot of which weren't even aviation related!

Amber, for some reason I'm reminded of the fact that I actually *did* get some sleep on our LAS-CVG redeye! Sandwiched between a "passenger of size" and the window on the 757 in coach in the row ahead of the exit with no recline.

You can sleep anywhere if you're tired enough ...

[ QUOTE ]
Amber, for some reason I'm reminded of the fact that I actually *did* get some sleep on our LAS-CVG redeye! Sandwiched between a "passenger of size" and the window on the 757 in coach in the row ahead of the exit with no recline.

You can sleep anywhere if you're tired enough ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, ironic that you got sleep back there while Bill and I were up front & sleepless!

You're all a bunch of suckers!!
tongue.gif
Saying you would prefer the jumpseat, or a first class seat.
blush.gif

I, for one, would take my current seat any day. The left seat!
It is the only one with a HUD. Of course, the HUD does make it a little cramped so it is pretty hard to fit my enitre ego in the cockpit.

Mike

[ QUOTE ]
Especially the 75... The only time you can see anything is in flight. The best jumpseat was the L1011. Aft and to the left of the captain for takeoff and landing, then the second jumpseat in back during cruise flight.

[/ QUOTE ]

on the way back from afganistan we rode on a chartered L1011 and i met the pilots and they let me ride Jumpseat it was amazing!

I have had that same experience many years ago on a 757 from PHX-ATL. The flight originated in SAN and I got the middle seat between to rather large folks..it sucked until I dozed off luckily there wasnt any oder factor...

Except in the wintertime. If you get seated between two fat people, it's like sitting in a warm bean bag. Ahh!

I kid, I kid!

Back