747 Accident at SFO .... in 1971

I read the whole NTSB report one day a while back. Very interesting. If it were a full flight, things would have been...terrible.

My grandfather was the chief of police at the time here in Millbrae next to SFO, he was involved in the aftermath of all this and watched the landing from close proximity. I hadn't seen the video until about a year ago, but once I did, I realized he wasn't exaggerating at all about the crash landing!

Amazing video, its crazy to think that she flew for 2 hours to make landing weight with that amount of damage to the aircraft.

That was crazy. What about the metal through the seat?

Yep. That's what I meant by saying it'd be even worse if it was a full flight...though if it was a full flight they probably wouldn't have attempted taking off from 1R in the first place. But if those seats were occupied, I'd be shocked if it wasn't a fatal accident. I wonder what the pax with the amputated foot got from Pan Am seeing how it was totally their fault.

What ever happened to the guy that operated the pointer stick? Saw some old footage of the '71 US Open with the guy doing the hole overview. I'm assuming he lost his job too in the age of the helicopter fly-over and telestrator.

Poor pointer stick guy. Lost his job to technology.

What ever happened to the guy that operated the pointer stick? Saw some old footage of the '71 US Open with the guy doing the hole overview. I'm assuming he lost his job too in the age of the helicopter fly-over and telestrator.

Poor pointer stick guy. Lost his job to technology.

I don't know. Maybe he made it to the age of PowerPoint and the laser pointer.

Back