737 Pushback Fail

"As I began to push the plane back the plane the push back started to take off faster then I expected it to do. I tried to step on the brake to slow it down but it would not bring the plane to a stop."

This guy did not even start pressing on the brakes until 17 seconds into the push back. He then proceeded to slam on the breaks stopping the plane in 3 seconds. You don't have to be a genius to know that 85,000 pounds being decelerated from 15 mph to 0 in 3 seconds in going to snap the nose gear. This guy probably put around 400,000 pounds of force on the nose gear which is kind of impressive.

"As I began to push the plane back the plane the push back started to take off faster then I expected it to do. I tried to step on the brake to slow it down but it would not bring the plane to a stop."

This guy did not even start pressing on the brakes until 17 seconds into the push back. He then proceeded to slam on the breaks stopping the plane in 3 seconds. You don't have to be a genius to know that 85,000 pounds being decelerated from 15 mph to 0 in 3 seconds in going to snap the nose gear. This guy probably put around 400,000 pounds of force on the nose gear which is kind of impressive.
I used to push a UPS 757 through an uphill left hand 180 degree turn every night with a 55000 lb 4WD diesel tug. Everything was going fine until that rainy night in late December. The airplane and the tug were fine, the tow bar, however, was not. It's not a story for the internet but I'd happily tell it in person.

That vid had a lot of proprietary information in it. Delta would lose it’s ever loving collective mind if that amount of info was leaked.
As it should. Those narratives, of what I can only assume are ASAP reports and/or an internal derivative being leaked is beyond unacceptable.

As it should. Those narratives, of what I can only assume are ASAP reports and/or an internal derivative being leaked is beyond unacceptable.

People at Southwest probably will lose their minds when they see the detailed MX writeups at the end of the vid (or maybe already have).

Back