727 landing at Meigs.

MarkE

Murrrrrph!
I remember this day and couldn't make it down there to see this but it had to be awesome to see in person. Interesting note, even though this isn't THAT long ago seems like the media didn't act like a bunch of jackasses back then.

[YT]NV4tgjSPgks[/YT]

Yea. I remember that, too. They ended-up knocking out the whole wall at the museum to get it in there.

Jim Tillman (NBC reporter in the first clip) was a UAL CA and the a weatherman at that station. He still pops up when they need an aviation expert.

00078AD.PDF
The 727 would STOP and some had nose-wheel brakes which made it stop even better. Before they blocked off the flaps 40 position, we went into CLT one day, light and with a 25kt headwind and turned off at the "GOLF" taxiway without hard braking.

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0903/00078AD.PDF

The video didn't come up the first time but this is a flaps 40 landing. The old joke in the 727 was for landing, with the triple slotted fowler flaps and leading edge slats and krueger flaps, the pilot would call for '50% wing disassembly'. Boeing reportedly said they would never again make a wing as complicated.

With full flaps, the 727 looked like a bird of prey mantling..

00078AD.PDF

i was in 4th grade when that happened...plus notice the TWExpress Metro on the Ramp!

That's my all time favorite United livery.

If that happened today, there would be 3,000 911 calls reporting that an airliner was streaking at downdown Chicago at low level.

RIP Meigs Field and a big "up yours" to Mayor Daley.

Bouncey, bouncey, bouncey! :crazy:

Justtt kidding. :) Awesome video compilation.

That's my all time favorite United livery.

If that happened today, there would be 3,000 911 calls reporting that an airliner was streaking at downdown Chicago at low level.

RIP Meigs Field and a big "up yours" to Mayor Daley.

:yeahthat:

"Throw DALEY down the well"

I would LOVE to meet him someday. :mad:

"of course we work for United Airlines, UAL is not in the business of letting us have fun..."

LOVE IT.

Found some pics of what it looks like all hung up...never been, would definitely like to go...thanks for sharing.

727.jpg

Boeing_727_%28MSI%29.JPG

Oh yeah, wasn't that some PURDUE ALUMNI that helped get that plane in to the museum, and the exhibit working right. ;)

Back