61.57 Question

mjg407

If I act as safety pilot for someone while they complete their 6 approaches and holding, do they still need a 61.57 sign off? (Assuming they have had 0 approaches in the last 6 months). Thanks.

If I act as safety pilot for someone while they complete their 6 approaches and holding, do they still need a 61.57 sign off? (Assuming they have had 0 approaches in the last 6 months). Thanks.

Within the preceding 6 months, they need the apporaches, holding, and radial intercepting, etc... After this 6 months, they cannot act as PIC IFR. They have another 6 months to get the 6 approaches, etc... complete.

If they're within the 6 month grace-period, then no. If not, then, yes, but you wasted your time doing the 6 and 6, rather than providing an IPC as specified in the Instrument PTS.

Did they also complete intercepting and tracking radials and bearings?

-mini
This requirement has always made me wonder. Clearly, if you have done 6 approaches and holding, you have intercepted and tracked. Even if you did 6 ASR approaches, the hold requires intercepting and tracking.

Is there really any instrument approach that doesn't involve intercepting and tracking radials/bearings? Maybe you were joking and I'm dense...

This requirement has always made me wonder. Clearly, if you have done 6 approaches and holding, you have intercepted and tracked. Even if you did 6 ASR approaches, the hold requires intercepting and tracking.
T'was indeed an effort at humor. Chillax folks. :nana2:

-mini

If they're within the 6 month grace-period, then no. If not, then, yes, but you wasted your time doing the 6 and 6, rather than providing an IPC as specified in the Instrument PTS.
From what I gather from our Recurrent Training, is that they are no longer permitted to sign off a 61.57 because the FAA (despite the Reg saying it is okay) states the PTS requires a circling approach which you can not do in a FTD. So instead they are giving our guys during recurrent and IPR (review). Which they state makes them legal because during the past 12 months they have have flown approaches, intercepted radials, etc. :panic:

From what I gather from our Recurrent Training, is that they are no longer permitted to sign off a 61.57 because the FAA (despite the Reg saying it is okay) states the PTS requires a circling approach which you can not do in a FTD.

Correct, although it's not widely known. I suspect there are lots of people out there signing off IPCs in an FTD. It's a somewhat legitimate decree by the FAA, since they are able to offer official interpretations of the regulations they write. But I don't like it either.

Is there really any instrument approach that doesn't involve intercepting and tracking radials/bearings? Maybe you were joking and I'm dense...
Not necessarily a joke.

Of course you're intercepting and tracking when you do an approach. Yet the FAA decided in 1997 when it changed the reg to specify "intercepting and tracking courses through the use of navigation systems" as one of the tasks to be accomplished and there is a legitimate school of thought out there that says that if the FAA specified it, it need to be there in the logbook to count.

Back