59.95/hour multi program?!

Learjet

That's the price Ari-Ben advertises for their 100 multi program in the duchess...hour building program.

I just wonder what kind of hours these are at less than the rental price of a 152...

anybody have done this hour bulding with them?

or their 200 hour multi program for 26k and all ratings?

Sounds too cheap...

Learjet

That's the time building program. Two pilots in the plane. One under the hood, the other is safety pilot. Works out to about $120/hour for the Aviator and both can log PIC time.

I did the 100 hr. program. No real problems. I did it as an MEI so I logged it as dual given as opposed to pilot/safety pilot. I didn't want to be under the hood for 50 hours, plus I could log actual.

The planes are old, they fly a lot, they aren't pretty. Actually, they flew better than I thought they would, no engine problems, only one manual gear extension. The avionics are old too. None of the planes that I flew had an operating autopilot, only one had a monochrome radar that worked marginally. The planes are loud, the seats are uncomfortable. The avionics aren't the most accurate. I recommend either a handheld GPS, a handheld Nav/Com, or both. Many people there carry these.

The staff there were friendly and accomodating with the exception of one foreign CFI. Scheduling would work with you. You will fly with different people of different abilities, watch them like a hawk. And, if you find someone that you enjoy to fly with and are comfortable with, then try to schedule as much with that person.

The fuel situation is that you have to fuel up on their ramp. If you need to buy fuel somewhere else, you will only be reimbursed for what Ari-Ben pays for fuel. So, you do a lot of out and back trips. You also fly at a reduced power setting usually 18" and 2100rpm, remember it is about time not speed or distance. I found someone that I enjoyed flying with and we would fly all night. We would do something like Ft. Pierce to Key West, full stop taxi back. Depart back to Ft. Pierce, refuel, switch seats and then go to Jacksonville and back with another full stop taxi back. This accomplished two things. It minimized our down time and maximized our flight time. Also, I didn't really want to leave the plane sitting on some strange ramp where a nosy FAA inspector could take a real close look at it (I know the odds of this are remote at night, but I didn't want to risk it). Also, make sure that you do a carefuel preflight and check everything thoroughly. If there is a problem you might be able to take a different plane, or you might have to cancel. Remember, you generally are flying at night so maintenance is usually gone.

Would I recommend it? Yes, it was a good experience. I never felt unsafe in the aircraft (just do a good preflight) and I had a good time doing it.

Ok, I see. Do they allow you to fly PIC/solo or PIC w/ passengers in their airplanes at 120/hour?

Cause if I did something like that I would be interested in flying either solo or with passengers and MAYBE sometimes with a safety pilot/hood config.

I think that they had some insurance restrictions against that. Give 'em a call directly and they'll fill you in. Nice bunch of people.

Back