5 A-10 Squadrons to be cut

braunpilot

What day is it?
5 A-10 squadrons to be cut
http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2012/01/airforce-5-a10-squadrons-cut-013012/

The A-10 Thunderbolt II provides the type of close-air support that ground-pounders love and the Taliban dread. Although the A-10s are workhorses in the war on terrorism, the Air Force in its new budget request is planning to get rid of five squadrons.

As part of the Defense Department’s efforts to trim close to $500 billion in spending over the next decade, defense officials said Friday that the service intends to cut five A-10 tactical squadrons and two other squadrons as well

The Thunderbolt squadrons to be stood down encompass one active-duty, one Reserve and three National Guard units. The remaining two squadrons disappearing are a Guard F-16 tactical unit and an F-15 training squadron.

The move was part of a series of proposed budget cuts announced Jan. 26 at the Pentagon. Also on the chopping block are the C-27 and the Global Hawk Block 30; and as the ground force shrinks, the service plans to retire the oldest of its aging transport aircraft.

Facing a new age of fiscal austerity, the Defense Department is trying to pivot away from the counterinsurgency campaigns of the past decade, which required large numbers of conventional forces, toward smaller, less expensive missions waged primarily by special operations forces.
While the A-10 is very good at providing close-air support, the Air Force needs aircraft that can do more than one mission, Adm. James Winnefeld, vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said Jan. 26 in an interview with Military Times reporters and editors.

“Is the F-35 going to be as good a close-air support platform as an A-10? I don’t think anybody believes that,” he said, “But is the A-10 going to be the air-to-air platform that the F-35 is going to be? So again, the Air Force is trying to get as much multimission capability into the limited number of platforms it’s going to have.”

While Air Force fighter aircraft are the most advanced in the world, some critics have said the need for an aircraft that can outfight near-peer rivals seems a bit over the horizon. But Winnefeld said the issue is not so clear-cut.

“It could be that those who think there’s never going to be an air-to-air engagement ever again in the history of the world could be wrong,” Winnefeld said. “It could be those who believe that the close-air support role of the A-10 is absolutely paramount could be wrong, as well.”

As the Air Force looks toward the future, it expects its intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance missions to become even more important. That’s why the service wants to have the ability to conduct 85 unmanned aerial drone patrols when needed. Currently, the Air Force can provide a maximum of 61 continuous patrols.

The Global Hawk Block 30, which was supposed to replace the U-2 spy plane, has proved to be too expensive for its mission, so the Air Force announced Jan. 26 that it has also canceled the Block 30 (see story, facing page) and extended the life of the U-2.

The move does not affect the other variants of the Global Hawk, said Ashton Carter, deputy defense secretary.

As the ground forces shrink, the Air Force will need fewer transport aircraft, so the proposed spending cuts call for the Air Force to retire 27 aging C-5As and 65 of the oldest C-130s, leaving Air Mobility Command with 52 C-5Ms, 318 C-130s and 222 C-17s.

Carter called the older C-5As and C-130s excess capacity, adding, “In this budget environment, we can’t justify capacity that is excess to need.”

The Defense Department is also looking to kill the C-27, a joint Army-Air Force cargo aircraft.
“The C-27J was developed and procured to provide a niche capability to directly support Army urgent needs in difficult environments such as Afghanistan where we thought the C-130 might not be able to operate effectively,” DoD stated in a budget presentation. “However, in practice, we did not experience the anticipated airfield constraints for C-130 operations in Afghanistan and expect these constraints to be marginal in future scenarios. Since we have ample inventory of C-130s and the current cost to own and operate them is lower, we no longer need — nor can we afford — a niche capability like the C-27J aircraft.”

Even before the proposed cuts were announced, one aerospace nonprofit organization weighed in, arguing the Air Force has been putting “short-term operational demands over long-term global realties.”

“While attributes like stealth, speed and range were not necessary above the occupied states [Iraq and Afghanistan], they are essential preconditions for securing U.S. interests elsewhere,” according to a letter sent by the Air Force Association on Jan. 26 to Sens. Carl Levin, D-Mich., and John McCain, R-Ariz., chairman and ranking minority member, respectively, on the Senate Armed Services Committee.

Signed by several former senior Air Force officials, the letter urges the service to pursue modernization programs put on the back burner since the end of the Cold War. “The need to strike distant targets and return safely did not emerge during the Cold War, nor did it end when the Berlin Wall fell,” it says, “While the U.S. was engaged in Iraq and Afghanistan, other nations were busy designing, fielding and proliferating new weapons that have the potential to curtail our freedom of action throughout major regions of the world.”

This is finally out, huh.

Some other interesting things to note, with the delay of the F-35, there are places depending on it for their useful life. For example, Luke AFB, Davis-Monthan AFB and Tucson ANG are all depending on the F-35 in order to have a follow-on mission. Luke especially. Tucson can continue to do it's foreign F-16 contract training, though that's not guaranteed, and DM will have a little more life left in it with the A-10 and other missions; but Luke is single-mission focused: F-16 training for active, as well as two other countries....which are in their own separate squadrons and don't necessarily have to be at Luke.

For the Active duty A-10s, I can see one of the DM training units closing. The Reserve one, my bet is likely Barksdale. The ANG ones are going to be interesting, as there are units that just lost their F-16s and converted to A-10s in the last BRAC, namely Fort Wayne, Fort Smith, and Selfridge.

Some other interesting things to note, with the delay of the F-35, there are places depending on it for their useful life. For example, Luke AFB, Davis-Monthan AFB and Tucson ANG are all depending on the F-35 in order to have a follow-on mission.

Any chance any of these bases may pick up UAV squadrons in the future? Just curious as I (being a complete outsider) would assume that's where the growth is.

Possibly. The units closed down in the last BRAC, many of them coverted to an intelligence mission or UAV mission....with the exception of New Mexico....they kind of screwed themselves, but that's another story.

It's just interesting that if the named ANG units I just mentioned above do get closed, they had just converted recently to the A-10. Would suck to complete a whole conversion, become combat ready, then get closed again.

Any chance any of these bases may pick up UAV squadrons in the future? Just curious as I (being a complete outsider) would assume that's where the growth is.

UAV's are the new normal for our military. I have a friend who does acceptance testing for GA (AAI is the name of the company IIRC). He is VERY VERY busy. For a few months out of the year he spends his time at Edwards training the Army instructors, the rest of the time he is either test flying or doing acceptance flights out of El Mirage. He has tried and tried to get me on board with his company, but from what I hear, UAV operators have a very high burnout rate.

Possibly. The units closed down in the last BRAC, many of them coverted to an intelligence mission or UAV mission....with the exception of New Mexico....they kind of screwed themselves, but that's another story.

It's just interesting that if the named ANG units I just mentioned above do get closed, they had just converted recently to the A-10. Would suck to complete a whole conversion, become combat ready, then get closed again.

Mike what goes into a unit airframe conversion?

Mostly what they receive and the actual conversion. Is it a slow transition with a mix of aircraft for a time or one big switch.

Mostly what they receive and the actual conversion. Is it a slow transition with a mix of aircraft for a time or one big switch.

It's pretty complicated. In short, the unit will go to a non-combat ready status for a while, normally a couple of years. They don't fly two separate airframes, they lose one airframe as they gain the others. Guys have to go to training on the new airframe at one of the training units, come back to get qualified locally, gain experience in the aircraft, and work their way back to combat mission ready status. Not a quick process at all, especially if the mission is changed as well as the aircraft, such as say going from A-10 to F-15C, such that the Mass ANG did; or going from the Cessna O-2 Skymaster to the C-5 Galaxy, such as the New York ANG did way back when. Oftentimes, the ANG unit will hire on some guys who have experience in the new aircraft in order to have crewmembers around who can be flight leads, IPs, etc.

eSnXa.jpg

Speaking of cost savings, closing a squadron at KDMA......at least some money would be saved in not having to fly the jets to the boneyard. Just the fuel costs of towing them 1.5 miles down the ramp.

It's pretty complicated. In short, the unit will go to a non-combat ready status for a while, normally a couple of years. They don't fly two separate airframes, they lose one airframe as they gain the others. Guys have to go to training on the new airframe at one of the training units, come back to get qualified locally, gain experience in the aircraft, and work their way back to combat mission ready status. Not a quick process at all, especially if the mission is changed as well as the aircraft, such as say going from A-10 to F-15C, such that the Mass ANG did; or going from the Cessna O-2 Skymaster to the C-5 Galaxy, such as the New York ANG did way back when. Oftentimes, the ANG unit will hire on some guys who have experience in the new aircraft in order to have crewmembers around who can be flight leads, IPs, etc.

Thanks Mike.

Oddly enough, DM had a drone squadron way back on the '70s and '80s, so it would not surprise me in the least to see DM pick up this mission once again.

I just don't see the Air Force getting to cut as much of the A-10s as they want. It's always been a bastard child within the AF and was initially procured to kill the Army's Blackhawk attack helicopter program. Since then it's been on the chopping block every time there are cuts but the Army screams bloody murder and it's reinstated.
Maybe technology has caught up but we've never developed an airframe that did CAS and air superiority well. We've tried, but never really succeeded.

Oddly enough, DM had a drone squadron way back on the '70s and '80s, so it would not surprise me in the least to see DM pick up this mission once again.

The Firebee's in the C-130 drone unit? Pretty cool stuff. I vaguely remember the U-2s there in the 1970s.

There is an ANG Predator unit that flies out of their with their control vans, but they have no aircraft assigned. They only fly the overseas aircraft via satellite. And the Customs has their own control van at DM too to fly their Predator's that are launched out of KFHU.

The Firebee's in the C-130 drone unit? Pretty cool stuff. I vaguely remember the U-2s there in the 1970s.

Those were the ones, Mike.

I arrived at DM after the U-2s had departed for Beale, so I never got to work those (although I have worked the SR-71 in my career).

Bummer. The A-10 is a mean ass looking beast. Its easily my favorite warplane. Ill take one if they dont have anywhere to keep it. I have a large back yard. :)

When we converted from O-2's to OA-37's both were on the ramp at DM and the conversion was in house. It took around 9 months to get everyone checked out. Helped that both were simple airplanes.

Back