430 tcas

troopernflight

According to the garmin 430 TCAS (I know I'm probably incorrect actually calling this TCAS, Mode S transponder maybe?), I noticed traffic -400 off to my right and a little behind me. It didn't really worry me at first, so I just kind of monitored it, considering I had flight following. My altitude was 6,500, VFR westbound. When it went to -200 and then almost right under me, I started to get on edge, and I started furiously searching for the traffic. I then queried ATC and he advised it was a Mooney on a SW heading and that it should be at 6,000 feet. Just after he said that, I saw the Mooney came wipping under me and it seemed quite close. I noticed a box popped up in yellow and advised of traffic conflict.
Has anyone had any experience with this system? I was curious whether -200 was accurate? I'd hate to think I came that close to a midair.

I've been flying the g1000 which has a traffic system installed. It is not actual tcas....it is actually ran off of an air traffic system radar in the area. As I am out in Kansas, this isnt available everywhere. It should be very accurate, the same as center's radar, but I'm sure somebody else will chime in on this subject that has more experience with this subject. There is probably some error in the readings...who knows?

You are correct about you're being incorrect, technically its a TIS: "Traffic Information System".

My experience is they aren't that accurate. There tends to be a 5 - 15 second delay in the direction vector and the altitudes are merely a hint.

Most of them have a Mode S transpoder that provides the TIS. In order for it to work you must be within 55 miles and line of sight of the Mode S equipped radar. Which is why you constantly hear that annoying "Traffic not available" if you are in an area without coverage.

As to the accuracy it is pretty accurate insofar as it is reporting to you what altitude the other aircraft's transponder is transmitting and comparing it to the altitude your transmitter is giving the radar station. It only tells you what it sees.

Basically it can be inaccurate as Hell, or it can be really accurate.

I had a close call with one that was reporting as 800 below me and it was really less than 200.

Another time it saved my butt when a Caravan almost ran over me.

They are a great tool, but I sure don't trust it.,

isn't it just great when you get your own radar return and it starts going "TRAFFIC TRAFFIC", or everytime you land "TIS not available" no duh hahah

but i was on final once and the traffic alerts wouldnt stop going off when their wasnt anything around, not so fun when your trying to land

Back when TIS first came out (Garmin 330 xpndr), there was an issue with the auto stby feature. If you were our doing steep turns, it would detect a ground speed less than 60 kts (data from GPS) and go to STBY. When you recovered, it went back to ALT. You could have no traffic at all, and then a couple of seconds later "TRAFFIC TRAFFIC" as the ATC radar data sent your old position (pre-STBY). There was the target displayed right next to you. Yea, that was fun.

isn't it just great when you get your own radar return and it starts going "TRAFFIC TRAFFIC", or everytime you land "TIS not available" no duh hahah

but i was on final once and the traffic alerts wouldnt stop going off when their wasnt anything around, not so fun when your trying to land

If you are flying a G-1000 in final, with people with their transponders on holding short, you can mute TIS if it is bothering you. Work it into your landing flow.

If you are flying a G-1000 in final, with people with their transponders on holding short, you can mute TIS if it is bothering you. Work it into your landing flow.

ive done in the G1000 equipped 172SP, but i was referring to our Arrow, and that has the 430's. not fun....

i do have to say, the G1000 is nice, and i really like it, but im kinda partial to steam gauges...

The G430 does not have TIS it is a has TCAS I or the one i fly with does anyway.. it is an option and by no means as standard.

TCAS even in the big stuff i fly we are reminded is not accurate in the horizontal plane, and aircrew should never initiate a turn based on TCAS information.

The G430 does not have TIS it is a has TCAS I or the one i fly with does anyway.. it is an option and by no means as standard.

TCAS even in the big stuff i fly we are reminded is not accurate in the horizontal plane, and aircrew should never initiate a turn based on TCAS information.

i dont understand what you are trying to say here, but the G430 does not have Traffic and Collision Avoisance System, it has Traffic Information System.

correct me if i'm wrong

i dont understand what you are trying to say here, but the G430 does not have Traffic and Collision Avoisance System, it has Traffic Information System.

correct me if i'm wrong
You are wrong; The 430/530 itself has none of these features.

TIS is from a Mode S transponder.
TCAS is from a separate transceiver box.

Both feed info to the 430/530 which displays it.

Both are optional except most Garmin installations come with the GTX330 transponder which has Mode S TIS.

You are wrong; The 430/530 itself has none of these features.

TIS is from a Mode S transponder.
TCAS is from a separate transceiver box.

Both feed info to the 430/530 which displays it.

Both are optional except most Garmin installations come with the GTX330 transponder which has Mode S TIS.

Thanks man

I dunno, maybe it is because I am a tech junkie but I really like the G1000. It makes flying way too easy for instrument pilots. The TIS isn't that bad on the DA40XL. It seems pretty accurate although sometimes the traffic is a little off. The ghost that you can is also a little annoying. You see traffic a little bit under you only to find out it is just a ghost of your aircraft on the TIS.

You would be surprised how many people don't operate with a transponder in the mode C veil after using TIS and TCAS for a while.

Are we talking TCAS or TAS? My understanding- TIS is the passive system, TAS is the next step up, using antennas to actively interrogate other transponders, and TCAS is the big airplane/big $$ variety which provides resolution advisories.
Biggest eye-opener for me after I started flying Cirri and other TIS/TAS equipped aircraft are the number of targets out there that you never see.

Oh and about G1000-my IFR student and I were up doing holds in a 45-50kt direct xwind last night, and he suddenly says 'this is like cheating' and wants to turn off the inset and the MFD moving map-nice to have someone who doesn't just want to follow the magenta line through life....

TAS in the Caravan works pretty good. I seldom see ghosts, traffic that does not show up or inaccurate info. It's not TCAS but it is a great tool to have.

Back