401K contribution question

ZapBrannigan

If it ain’t a Boeing, I’m not going. No choice.
If I exceed my max 401K contribution ($20500) this early in the year, should I turn off my automatic contributions for the remainder of the year?

Somebody told me I could be taxed twice on the excess and that confused me.

If I exceed my max 401K contribution ($20500) this early in the year, should I turn off my automatic contributions for the remainder of the year?

No, i believe you turned 50 this year, correct? If so, you get to put extra money in. I don’t know the exact amount, but if you’re over 50, you can contribute more.

Also, I believe they are supposed to stop at the limit. If my company can manage to turn it off, I’m ASSuming yours can too. I’d check with your HR department to confirm, though.

Depending on your plan, you may be able to make after tax contributions up to $61,000 (my plan allows this for example).[1] While you don't get a tax break on those contributions now, they are tax free later at withdrawal. The way my 401k is set up, there is a regular 401k account, and a separate in-plan conversion account for the excess after tax contributions.

[1] Here's a retirement tax trick: the mega backdoor Roth IRA

Not sure if you guys have an HSA option but that is another excellent way contribute to retirement.

We look into it. It's just hard to switch mental gears from our grandfathered plan (with $0 premiums) and paying for the HSA plan.

Zap, I use the HSA, (No kids just a wife and a dog, dog is SOL though..) Its basically a 4th, 5th or 6th retirement vessels to dump tax free money into and pull later down the road.

I mean 7300-7600 a year, compounded/invested over 20 years adds up.

Also with the HSA, you pretty much pay out of pocket for the stuff, keep the medical receipts, then can pull it out TAX FREE down the road when we need or want it.

Zap, I use the HSA, (No kids just a wife and a dog, dog is SOL though..) Its basically a 4th, 5th or 6th retirement vessels to dump tax free money into and pull later down the road.

I mean 7300-7600 a year, compounded/invested over 20 years adds up.

Also with the HSA, you pretty much pay out of pocket for the stuff, keep the medical receipts, then can pull it out TAX FREE down the road when we need or want it.

I would do that, but don't trust myself to remember the receipts 20 years from now.

The max out of pocket on my high deductible plan isn't much more than the other options, so it is kind of a no-brainer if you fully fund it every year.

Back