4 Engine Prop Planes

albatross

Just a loopy question no one may have a ready answer for, but are any 4 engine propliners in use in civil avaition anymore (in the U.S.), say as cargo carriers, or for small airlines? What do you think the minimums for SIC might be for these? Just wonderin', and dreamin' a little.

I've seen some DC-6's in DAB marked with some Florida airline...not sure if they're active or not, but the paint isn't too faded. I think there is also still one airline in Iceland? that runs L-188s.

I don't know if anyone like Evergreen still flies the Lockheed L-100 (civilian version of the C-130). I was trying to look it up in Google, but I kept finding virtual airlines. I'll consult some resources at work and see if I can find anything about who flies what.

I think the DeHaviland Dash-7 has four turbo-props.

Great short-field perfomer. Looks alot like the Dash-8.

Yeah - I think there is a government agency that is still using the Dash 7 - can't remember which one.

Jason

There are several operators of the DC-6 up in Alaska. Air Cargo Express, Northern Air Cargo, and Everts Air Fuel all use DC-6s a lot. NAC has a whole fleet of them. Lynden Air Cargo has a bunch of C-130s around the world. One or two do just Alaska flying.

Here are a couple pictures captured from an old video I took back in '96:
dc6.jpg
dc6-2.jpg
dc6-3.jpg

Wow! I love this site. Thanks for your replies everybody. For some reason I have a soft spot in my heart for these old planes, flying one would be a privilege and a really interesting challenge, not to mention a great way to cut your aviation teeth. I'll see if I can get in contact with any of these oufits and let you know what I find out, for those of you who are curious. Thanks again!

Yeah, those are some sweet pictures of the DC-6.....Love the look of that on approach with those barn door flaps hanging out.

[ QUOTE ]
I've seen some DC-6's in DAB marked with some Florida airline...not sure if they're active or not, but the paint isn't too faded.

[/ QUOTE ]

You might be thinking about the Trans Florida Convair CV-240's. We're they sitting near the tower and close to the numbers on 7R? Some are just decorations, but they have a few that still fly nightly to SJU and other destinations down south.

There's also a B-17 I've seen flying out of New Smyrna here. How cool would it be to have a B-17 type rating on your ticket?

The only airline I could find who still flies the L-100 in North America was an airline called "FirstAir" who operates an L382G out of Yellowknife, Canada.

Back