4 DAYS?

Louie1975

Hi Folks:
I received my new issue of FLYING magazine. Inside is an ad for a citation type rating in 4 days. Does this mean you go from never flown a jet to typed in 4 days? If so, how is this possible?

Louie

I don't think so, but I suppose it would be possible. I would think you must have some exposure. Maybe flying SIC for some time and then you get typed to move over to the big chair.

The Capt I was flying with last week got his Citation type 20 years ago at one of those kind of schools. He said the Citation is very easy to fly. Jet engines are no big deal, either, hit the thrust levers and they go....that's all you need to know.

As far as academic training and the checkride. The examiner probably works with the school and they train for his checkride. And the academics wouldn't be on par with a typical airline ground school. It's a quicke course designed to get you the piece of plastic that says "jet type rating" on it...cheap and quick.

That said....I would say for a guy to be successful need to be current multi-engine and a very sharp instrument pilot.

Also, don't believe the ads in Flying. There are ads there that say you too can be an airline pilot in 9 months and 300 hours...or whatever....

I think the 4 days thing might be a little misleading.

Sure, it can take four days as long as you're prepared for it, utilize lots of self-study time and show up prepared to learn.

De727UPS is right. Turbojet powerplants are a lot easier than recips to fly with.

On a jet. You want to go faster or climb? Push the throttles forward.

On a prop. you want to go faster or climb? Increase the prop rpm, enrichen the mixture slightly, slowly push the throttle up, look at your cylinder head temperatures, tweak the mixture control, open up your cowl flaps slightly if the CHT's get too warm.

Whew! Makes me want to take a nap just typing about it!

Believe it or Not its True.

Right...
You must show up already haveing studied the aircraft manual knowing the checlist and systems and you must be very proficient in instrument flying and able to adapt to flying the approaches at higher speeds. I'm not sure of the particular school in the magazine but a friend of mine did a 4 day course and got his type. His background was 4000tt, probably 2500 multi, mostly turbine in King Airs and cessna conquest and about 100 hrs already in the C-500. The training is progressive meaning you are being "evaluated" as you train ... conflict of interest ...you be the judge.

Now I know this other guy that was in my C-550 initial at Flight Safety Intl., nice guy but without the background and experience did't pass a 12 day course.

Getting the type won't make you a Captain, you may be able to log PIC time per the regulations but it will be a while begfore you are actually Captain material. The insurance compainies will want to know where you received your type rateing and believe me they know there is a difference. My friend who did the 4 day course had to attend FSI for Citaiton refresher before the insurance carrier would cover him to act as PIC.

As I said in another post about getting type rateings, things are changing out there and the insurance compainies want to see formal school house ie: FSI or Simulfite, training and or a type rateing for SIC's. If you have opportunity to use the rateing and you have the money to risk I'd say I would consider it. Before you committ money though I would get a qualified answer from the prospective employer that thier insurance carrier will accept you as a risk if you do the 4 day course vs a formal type rateing.

Remember if its too good to be true ... it probably is.

I did mine in 5 days. No prior jet experience. They expect you to studdy before showing up. You must be proficient at flying by instruments and multi. They do a sim (AST hawk) check for your instrument skills before you even look at the jet. The ground school is the hardest part. They make notes for you and hopefully you learn it all. The flying is easy, well easier than a piston twin. Very stable and don't have to worry about props, mixture, cowl flaps, etc. At this school I went to, most of their customers have signifcant flight experience, I showed up w/ 380 TT and 65 Multi. They were going to turn me away, but I wanted to do the VA approved course which has 7.5 hours of flight. One of the guys in my class had gone through Flightsafety for a different type rating. Their course was about 12 days, I asked him the difference and he said that they spoon feed the information compared to the place we were at. They also dont expect as much self study before showing up. This place had an examiner on staff, but he wasn't easy. ATP standards to the letter. Drop below GS on an approach and the checkride is over. If it can be done in 5 days, I'm sure it could be done in 4. However, my experience with ATP's is that they train you for what their examiner will ask, but those A** H***s didn't put me with their examiner, and I looked like an idot on my checkride. Passed anyways though.

Back