30 Day Address Change Compliance

wrghflyrnc

So..... I moved to Raleigh a few months ago and just realized I hadn't officially changed my address with the folks in OKC per FAR 61.60.

I logged in to the FAA's Airmen Services portal only to find out they already had my new address listed.?.?.?.?

Anyone have an idea how the FAA monitors this?

Big brother is watching.

(No idea how they knew, change of address perhaps?)

A change of address with the Post Office does this for you.
I did a temporary forwarding of my mail for a couple of months earlier in the year and the Post Office took it upon themselves to send every one who mailed me something a notice of my change of address (FAA, my bank, my car insurance, my cigar supplier...) which turned out to be a huge pain in the back side.
I hate the Post Office.

I'd probably still send in the notification anyway just to cover your rear.

I heard a story about someone who got a DUI and made the notification to the FAA, but still got violated anyway for failure to notify because the notification wasn't sent to the "civil aviation security division" as required by the reg. Now I know you didn't get a DUI or anything, but I'm learning to think like a lawyer in this biz!

I would have thought that the states had to report to the DOT, and so the database would be the same. Learn something new every day.

Would be interesting to know how this happens. My bet is either driver's license or post office/mail forwarding.

Thanks for the input.

Interesting question, does changing your address via the FAA's Airman portal satisfy 61.60? If read literally, then I think not.

Did you get a new medical with the new address? That's how mine was updated. In fact I generally forget to do it (change my address) because I've moved so much but the FAA gets my new address that way.

Im glad i saw this thread, i hadnt changed my info after my move...and neither did the postoffice.

Would be interesting to know how this happens. My bet is either driver's license or post office/mail forwarding.

Thanks for the input.

Interesting question, does changing your address via the FAA's Airman portal satisfy 61.60? If read literally, then I think not.

I think the mail forwarding will get you.

No, I haven't gotten a new medical since the move. Here's what I'm wondering though. According to the Airman Registry, they have the correct address. But 61.60 says OKC has to be "notified in writing". So even though they have the correct address, should I send another notice via mail?

Also, w/r/t the database issue, I thought that was what the National Driver Registry consisted off. Is it a linked system of all the respective state's DMV files?

Again, thanks for the input. Always interesting to learn something new!

Just to put my 2 cents in....

In 7 years I have changed my address 5 times and everything from the FAA still gets sent to my permanent address which is my parents house. I've done the change of address forms and everything still gets sent back home.

Back