3 families suing Boeing over Asiana 214 crash

I see nothing wrong with this. Boeing is fair game. If it even comes to trial, let them prove that the 777 is safe, training was adequate, an audible warning isn't necessary, etc.

It seems corporate America has successfully trained us to vilify trial lawyers and instantly label most liability lawsuits as frivolous without ever needing to hear the facts of the cases. The game is already rigged against the average citizen in the executive and legislative branches. The judicial system is where the average citizen has at least a fighting chance.

I think the fact that it has been flying for nearly 20 years and just had it's first fatal accident is pretty good proof that the aircraft is safe.

I also think that trial lawyers are vilified thanks to several bad eggs in the bunch who seem to live solely upon profiting from other peoples' misery.

jtrain609 said:
Lawyers are all horrible people who do terrible, nasty, dirty, rotten things to everything holy.

This is why pilots constantly talk about how they should have gone to law school instead of becoming pilots, because being a lawyer is a wonderful career of doing terrible, nasty, dirty rotten things to everything holy and they want to get in on the action!

And you know for sure it's true right? 8)

I think the fact that it has been flying for nearly 20 years and just had it's first fatal accident is pretty good proof that the aircraft is safe.

I also think that trial lawyers are nothing more than zealous advocates for the goals of their clients and are ethically required to represent them to the best of their abilities. With that, the concept of two adversaries arguing in front of a finder of fact to find the truth of a matter in question is the very basis on which our legal system functions. If you have a problem with a case, look to the client who sought out a lawsuit and not the lawyer that pursues it on behalf of their client. Thinking otherwise would be like wondering why pilots still fly to Lubbock even though they're A&M fans; they do it because it's their job.

FIFY.

6aa6e49408bcaad1d142fa907e1d3e69.jpg

George Zimmerman does NOT think this!!!

Because the term "ambulance chaser" just appeared out of thin air?

I would be willing to bet my next paycheck every passenger on Asiana 214 was contacted by an attorney prior to them even seeking one out. Now, they do have to "hire" them (well not really hire, "I don't get paid until YOU get paid") and agree to bring the lawsuit. Again why wouldn't some one sue? No money up front, the lawyer does all the work, and if they don't win they don't have to pay, (says so right there in his commercial) win-win for the "client". Are we really supposed to believe lawyers in these types of cases are just sitting in the office waiting for the phone to ring? I'm sure since I didn't go to "law school" I don't know what I'm talking about. I got to go call my friend Larry H. Parker I think I tripped and "hurt" myself leaving Walmart. He was hard to find, I haven't seen his commercial in about four minutes.

Because the term "ambulance chaser" just appeared out of thin air?

I would be willing to bet my next paycheck every passenger on Asiana 214 was contacted by an attorney prior to them even seeking one out. Now, they do have to "hire" them (well not really hire, "I don't get paid until YOU get paid") and agree to bring the lawsuit. Again why wouldn't some one sue? No money up front, the lawyer does all the work, and if they don't win they don't have to pay, (says so right there in his commercial) win-win for the "client". Are we really supposed to believe lawyers in these types of cases are just sitting in the office waiting for the phone to ring? I'm sure since I didn't go to "law school" I don't know what I'm talking about. I got to go call my friend Larry H. Parker I think I tripped and "hurt" myself leaving Walmart. He was hard to find, I haven't seen his commercial in about four minutes.

Ambulance chasing isn't allowed (anymore).

How is any of this Boeing's fault? Considering how long these airplanes have been flying with only one real mechanical incident, Id say Boeing should get an award for durability and reliability which are components that will only work as long as the crew flying the airplane is competent.

Deep pockets....That's what its about....Plain and simple....

Here is an interesting article about the lawyers and whether they are allowed to chase ambulances
http://www.aviationlawmonitor.com/2...-after-lawyers-soliciting-asiana-214-victims/
jtrain609.
This is what I was trying to say, you can romanticize lawyers all you want but the real worlds a touch different. When you said their "not allowed" to chase ambulances was this the law you were talking about? The one that says they can't chase ambulances for 45 days, then it's no problem. Even with the the law on the books it still didn't stop some of the "zealous advocates" of the law from contacting people. Wow.

Lawsuits somewhat like this and like many others are one the main reasons flying is as safe as it it. Do I personally think Boeing is liable. 99% chance they are not. But the lawsuit opens up doors to allow the lawyers for the families to look at evidence. Remember NTSB investigations materials and investigator are not allowed to be used in civil court. The attorneys would have to do their own investigation with discovery.

Boeing is one of the biggest companies in the world. They have a fleet of lawyers handling lawsuits every day from fatal accidents to slip and falls at the factory. Trust me Boeing isn't going to be hurt one bit and if this suit passes muster with the judge then Boeing will likely just try to settle and not bother with spending much money. They can afford it.

Again, I personally don't think Boeing is at fault. But as another member said court is one of the few places someone that is average can have the chance to be on the same field as the big company or the government. Products liability lawsuits keep products we all use from our microwaves, cars and airplanes safer than they would be without them.

People love to hate the lawyers but I guarantee the majority of you as the majority of these passengers did, would seek out legal help if you were in the unfortunate circumstances as a passenger in an situation like this.

Also because of the Montreal Convention Asiana may be protected from many of the lawsuits which don't deal directly to property loss or medical cost.

Also in a contingency fee case the lawyers usually get between 25-35% of the funds. I don't know of any states which allow anything over 40% .

Lawsuits somewhat like this and like many others are one the main reasons flying is as safe as it it. Do I personally think Boeing is liable. 99% chance they are not. But the lawsuit opens up doors to allow the lawyers for the families to look at evidence. Remember NTSB investigations materials and investigator are not allowed to be used in civil court. The attorneys would have to do their own investigation with discovery.

Boeing is one of the biggest companies in the world. They have a fleet of lawyers handling lawsuits every day from fatal accidents to slip and falls at the factory. Trust me Boeing isn't going to be hurt one bit and if this suit passes muster with the judge then Boeing will likely just try to settle and not bother with spending much money. They can afford it.

Again, I personally don't think Boeing is at fault. But as another member said court is one of the few places someone that is average can have the chance to be on the same field as the big company or the government. Products liability lawsuits keep products we all use from our microwaves, cars and airplanes safer than they would be without them.

People love to hate the lawyers but I guarantee the majority of you as the majority of these passengers did, would seek out legal help if you were in the unfortunate circumstances as a passenger in an situation like this.

Also because of the Montreal Convention Asiana may be protected from many of the lawsuits which don't deal directly to property loss or medical cost.

Also in a contingency fee case the lawyers usually get between 25-35% of the funds. I don't know of any states which allow anything over 40% .
I'm all for consumer protection and believe there truly are some cases that have saved lives. What I'm tired of is people going after companies like Boeing as you put it because they can afford it. Every one is not a victim. In this accident are there some, yes but to start suing people just to blatantly do it is laughable. If Boeing was a bankrupt company and didn't support or build airplanes any more they wouldn't even be named. In this cases like this, in my view, people should sue the operator and if the operator thinks they're not at fault they can sue Boeing. Let there insurance companies fight it out and pay the people a fair amount based on injuries and loss of income future or otherwise. Some time pilots get named, but it's either rare or a formality. Lawyers know they don't have deep pockets, so they don't "waste" there time.

Even the 25-40% cut lawyers get is crazy. If it were truly about helping victims in large and small cases their pay should be based on billable hours for a case, not some percentage set by other lawyers (sorry "law makers"). There's a reason we have all these contingency based lawyer commercials and it has more to do with money than "victims" rights. We have a broken system, I'm not going to pretend I'm smart enough to know how to fix it, but I know it's broke. It costs us all money in most things we use/consume every day.

jtrain609.
This is what I was trying to say, you can romanticize lawyers all you want but the real worlds a touch different. When you said their "not allowed" to chase ambulances was this the law you were talking about? The one that says they can't chase ambulances for 45 days, then it's no problem. Even with the the law on the books it still didn't stop some of the "zealous advocates" of the law from contacting people. Wow.

There are state ethics rules also.

http://www.atlantapersonalinjurylawyer-blog.com/2011/12/two-atlanta-personal-injury-at.html

Boeing is one of the biggest companies in the world. They have a fleet of lawyers handling lawsuits every day from fatal accidents to slip and falls at the factory. Trust me Boeing isn't going to be hurt one bit and if this suit passes muster with the judge then Boeing will likely just try to settle and not bother with spending much money. They can afford it

"Boeing won't be bankrupted by these lawsuits" is different from "Boeing isn't going to be hurt one bit." If they settle, which as you noted is encouraged by the legal system, that cost will be passed along to airlines, which is passed along to passengers. If they don't do that, it does affect their bottom line, which affects the stock price, which affects retirement accounts for many. It's not a question of how much it hurts Boeing; it's how much it hurts everyone else.

Like aobt14 says, a loser pays system would seem to be a better way. If you want court to be a level playing field, a system that strongly encourages high market cap companies to continually settle without admitting wrongdoing is not the answer.

Wait for it........

They'll sue Oshkosh, the maker of the ARFF trucks and the SFFD for accidentally running over a passenger, too.

JTRAIN they may have slim case on this one. I heard a rumor that the truck that hit the girl didn't have an "allegedly mandated" FLIR unit installed. Have you heard anything in that regard?

Lawyers are all horrible people who do terrible, nasty, dirty, rotten things to everything holy.

This is why pilots constantly talk about how they should have gone to law school instead of becoming pilots, because being a lawyer is a wonderful career of doing terrible, nasty, dirty rotten things to everything holy and they want to get in on the action!

LOL like everything else life there are that 5-10% that give cops, lawyers, pilots etc a bad name and they are usually the one making the most press too.

JTRAIN they may have slim case on this one. I heard a rumor that the truck that hit the girl didn't have an "allegedly mandated" FLIR unit installed. Have you heard anything in that regard?.

Mandated? When? Those FLIR and video units are FAR more overrated on CFR trucks than they're worth. Plus, I highly doubt it would've helped anyway in this case.

MikeD said:
Mandated? When? Those FLIR and video units are FAR more overrated on CFR trucks than they're worth. Plus, I highly doubt it would've helped anyway in this case.

I'll see if I can find the reference. I either read or heard on the communist news network about them being required and they were looking into why that truck didn't have the mandated equipment.

They should be thanking Boeing for building a product that stayed intact despite the pilots best efforts to rip it to pieces...

Legislation by Judiciary has been warned against time and time again. Of course so have surveillance states and endless imperial wars. At least the ears all seem to be equally deaf. Yes, the tort system is wildly broken, but so is every other facet of our government. Don't sit around and pick the scandalous misappropriation of authority that suits your political predispositions best, hate them all. And vote third party, you ridiculous, servile sheep. Blaming attorneys for our nascent Kleptocracy is essentially the same as blaming toothless peasant conscripts for Katyn Massacre. They're just doing some work, like the rest of us.

They're not Bad Actors, just bad People.

Back