2nd happiest day of airplane ownership.

USMCmech

D11C9F57-2780-43CF-9360-77D000D2886C.png

I just did something really stupid.

Beautiful airplane. I was just flying one yesterday. Hard to find a better all around money to fun ratio then a Citabria or a Decathlon.

Looks like a wood spar. Heel or toe brakes?

If you’re on FB, join “Citabria-Decathlon-Scout ~ Pilots-Owners-Enthusiasts”. It’s a great network including people actually working in the factory. The support really reminds me of the better EAB manufacturers.

Beautiful airplane. I was just flying one yesterday. Hard to find a better all around money to fun ratio then a Citabria or a Decathlon.

If you’re on FB, join “Citabria-Decathlon-Scout ~ Pilots-Owners-Enthusiasts”. It’s a great network including people actually working in the factory. The support really reminds me of the better EAB manufacturers.

They work for ACA or the remnant of Bellanca which is now up for sale?

Have been doing the math. On bang for buck - an RV6 comes REALLY close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wood spar, looks like new. I'll convert to metal whenever the fabric needs to be redone, but for now it's fine.

Converting to toe brakes ASAP. I'll be flying it stock for the next couple weeks, but I'm just not as confident with heel brakes as I'd like.

I still have to replace the transponder and comm radio. Parts are on order and will be installed in a couple of weeks.

I still want to build a RV-7, but I don't have the space or time to build and flying models are 2-3X what I paid for this bird.

Last edited:
They work for ACA or the remnant of Bellanca which is now up for sale?
People working the factory floor at ACA, who’s still producing current models. I’m not aware of them being up for sale (and my Google-fu, albeit weak, turned up nothing).
Wood spar, looks like new. I'll convert to metal whenever the fabric needs to be redone, but for now it's fine.

Converting to toe brakes ASAP. I'll be flying it stock for the next couple weeks, but I'm just not as confident with heel brakes as I'd like.
I still want to build a RV-7, but I don't have the space or time to build and flying models are 2-3X what I paid for this bird.
Your fabric looks great. The toe brake conversion is pretty simple from what I’ve seen...one of ours was formerly heel brakes and, while serviceable, to me they were always a PITA.

I know what you mean about building, the wife and I are breaking open a crate in the garage tonight to start inventorying for a Zenith.

The title confused me. I thought buying it was considered the happiest day of airplane ownership and selling it was the 2nd happiest?
Either way, congratulations! Hope you have many new, fun adventures and memories with her.
Putting "Sarah" on her is a really nice touch. It made me happy and sad all at the same time.
(Insert beers clinking emoji)

People working the factory floor at ACA, who’s still producing current models. I’m not aware of them being up for sale (and my Google-fu, albeit weak, turned up nothing).

Alexandria Aircraft purchased all the assets of Bellanca in 2002. For some stupid reason, I could have sworn they were up for sale but I must be wrong about that because I can't find anything on it. I may be confusing it with something else I read. Mass consumption of Barnstormers doesn't do a lot for my comprehension these days.

Alexandria Aircraft purchased all the assets of Bellanca in 2002. For some stupid reason, I could have sworn they were up for sale but I must be wrong about that because I can't find anything on it. I may be confusing it with something else I read. Mass consumption of Barnstormers doesn't do a lot for my comprehension these days.
Looks like by 02 all Bellanca still owned was the Cruisemaster and Viking lines. I honestly didn’t even know they existed by that point. ACA was spun off in the late 80s and owns the TCs for the Scout, Citabria, and Decathlon.

Barnstormers is a great time sink, I have to say.

I still have to replace the transponder and comm radio. Parts are on order and will be installed in a couple of weeks.

IMHO, the wood spars are superior to the metals ones. I'd keep 'em if they're in good shape.

Wood spars are not inherently bad or weak. It's easily arguable they are better than metal and stronger. The problem is that most wrenches (and pilots) no longer know how properly to inspect wood.

IMHO, the wood spars are superior to the metals ones. I'd keep 'em if they're in good shape.

Wood spars are not inherently bad or weak. It's easily arguable they are better than metal and stronger. The problem is that most wrenches (and pilots) no longer know how properly to inspect wood.
The nails do like to back out of the wood spars if you're pulling Gs. And they seem to do it regardless with enough age. That's the only downside I've seen.

Back