2nd 1st Solo

Douglas

Old School KSUX
Well after nine flights in about as many months, I finally soloed the L-13 Blanik.

It was a great experience.
It was great to go through the emotions, concerns and needs of a student pilot again. I think that will help with my instruction in powered aircraft.

Go out and find a soaring club.
http://www.ssa.org/
:panic:

i would like to try it; but it is so hard to imagine flying w/o the engine. i also want to try skydiving but i find it hard to get the nerve to jump out of a plane w/ a perfectly good engine.

congrats!

I had the oppurtounutity to fly one of those a few months ago and all i can say is wow, it was a completly diffrent experince.

i would like to try it; but it is so hard to imagine flying w/o the engine.

Exactly. That is what started my quest to try a glider, and now I am hooked.

I started to get too worried that my engine was going to quit, then I wondered if I could handle an off airport landing smartly. After those thoughts spun around in my head for a long enough time, I had to find a glider.

i am confident in my ability to handle an off field landing. it is the fact that once i am release i have to make it back to the airport, and if the thermals are wrong, i won't make it.

Exactly. That is what started my quest to try a glider, and now I am hooked.

I started to get too worried that my engine was going to quit, then I wondered if I could handle an off airport landing smartly. After those thoughts spun around in my head for a long enough time, I had to find a glider.

i am confident in my ability to handle an off field landing. it is the fact that once i am release i have to make it back to the airport, and if the thermals are wrong, i won't make it.

It kind of goes like that until your first one.

jpeg_0009e.jpg

Which is a very rewarding experience. I think I was more excited about my first off-field landing than I was my first glider solo on my 14th birthday.

After the first one, it start to become a little bit more routine. Landing out of course means that you did something wrong, and your score is gonna hurt (if your in a race). But it still ends up being neutral (for me still anyway) because of how much fun landing in a field can be.

I used to do some soaring with the local Boston soaring club and it was awesome.

Much different things go through your head when your flying a glider.

Back