Interesting thread on APC. My thoughts are that by 2012 the regionals will hiring, but they will not be taking everybody with a wet Commercial License and a pulse like they did before. You will probably see the standard 1,000 TT and 100 multi minimum requirements, or something close to that.

The majors will hire some pilots as well as some of them near the age 65 mark. However, they are not all going to retire on the same day. You will still need the 4 year degree, several thousand hours of TPIC time, and some decent connections and internal recommendations to get hired at a major.

To summarize, I believe that hiring will pick up by 2012, if not sooner than that. I don't expect it to be like the boom we saw in 2007 though. Hiring will be steady but also very competitive.

I would like to see a boom but from what I have seen in my short career thus far is there isn't a pilot shortage and there won't be one.

Seems like mass hysteria pilot shortages are for people trying to sell you something.

Not saying that I wouldn't like to see some movement get started again.

I am also predicting that a number of the regionals we see in operation today will no longer be in operation in 2012.

It's a tough road, and the world's largest airline is going to be chopping up some of their connection partners.

Now, as far as United, American, US Airways, Continental's connection partners, I also see consolidation coming from those companies. Domestic capacity will continue to see a downward squeeze until pricing power is regained by the remaining competitors.

Good luck.

I am also predicting that a number of the regionals we see in operation today will no longer be in operation in 2012.

It's a tough road, and the world's largest airline is going to be chopping up some of their connection partners.

Now, as far as United, American, US Airways, Continental's connection partners, I also see consolidation coming from those companies. Domestic capacity will continue to see a downward squeeze until pricing power is regained by the remaining competitors.

Good luck.

Rich Uncle Sam will just barge in and bail them out before that happens. God forbid we allow the market to correct itself. Lets continue to prop up dinosaur companies while they undercut their competition with no regard for the bottom line.

Back