2000ft vs 35000 ft

ibcd

Here I was .... had all the ratings upto MEI .... loans all paid off ... eager to join a flight school ... and follow the path leading to the ultimate dream - "Window office at 35000 ft"

For 5 months toiled hard to find that elusive CFI job ... went far and wide looking for it ...
applied at tons of schools ... but heard the same line everywhere "Not hiring ... will call when we resume"

Ran out of money ... had to find flying/non-flying job .. whatever came my way first ...

Applied at a computer firm and got the job immediately ....

A week later received call from a flight school offering the job but could not accept .... had commited to the current one ...

Now I have a window office ... but not at 35000 ft ... the view is excellent but very disheartening ....

The reason ... Arrival path for visual RWY 31R at DFW is less than 2000ft from the window ...

Day in and day out I watch the RJs, Saab, EMB120s, 757s, 767s and sometimes the 777s gliding in gently ...

Wishing I was up there with them ...

There is hope and will ... and one day I will have my window office ... at 35000 ft ....

Try and do the CFI thing on the weekends, or even try to get some instrument sim time work at night after work.

That's at least what I'd suggest

How much does this job pay? Buy a plane!
smile.gif

That's what I did. Bought a plane and am now flying my butt off after work and on weekends. Hope to get my rating and hope for the economy to turn around. Keep at it, any way that you can!

Screw flying in the Flight Levels anyways, you don't want to be up there. That's where all the coffee-cup-holder crews with their autopilots, epaulets, and FMSs hang out. Down and dirty at 100-300 AGL is the place to be.

So don't fret just yet. The opportunity will come

As an epaulet wearing, FMS/autopilot using, coffee cup holder I wholeheartedly agree with MikeD!! It really is quite boring up there unless you consider talking on the radio every 10 minutes exciting.

I would love to have a flying job at 300 feet!
smile.gif
I applied to the A10 unit in BDL for a UPT slot few years but didn't get invited for an interview - you know of anyone hiring?? ha

Jason

[ QUOTE ]
As an epaulet wearing, FMS/autopilot using, coffee cup holder I wholeheartedly agree with MikeD!! It really is quite boring up there unless you consider talking on the radio every 10 minutes exciting.

I would love to have a flying job at 300 feet!
smile.gif
I applied to the A10 unit in BDL for a UPT slot few years but didn't get invited for an interview - you know of anyone hiring?? ha

Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

The flip side of the coin: The epaulet wearing, FMS using, coffee cup holding guy is probably making many $$$$ more than I am, tooling down in the dumps.

They get stewardesses too! Or FAs, or whatever they're called now.

Additionally, they're not being sent to every godforsaken dump the US can find in this world, and work an average of 10-20 days/month.

If I'm making more $$$ than an Air Force officer there is a HUGE problem with the Air Force pay scale! I'm compensated a whole $35K a year for the pleasure of being on call(1 hour report) 24/7 with no guaranteed days off.

As far as godforsaken dumps around the world - that's true - we generally only see the domestic godforsaken dumps. Ever spent 5 days in Big Piney Wyoming or Greenville MS??
grin.gif

Jason

[ QUOTE ]

As far as godforsaken dumps around the world - that's true - we generally only see the domestic godforsaken dumps. Ever spent 5 days in Big Piney Wyoming or Greenville MS??
grin.gif

Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

Not those exact places, but did spend 4 days at China Lake, California; 2 weeks at Gila Bend, AZ; and numerous trips to the middle-of-nowhere east New Mexico.

Oooo! China Lake is really B.F.E.! Nice Golf course though. If only the wind wounldn't blow the ball everywhere and didn't have to drink water every second your out there due to the heat. My father in law was stationed there. He just retired after 35 yrs.
I prefer low and slow. You get to see the scenery. But when the weather rolls in, I'll take 35,000 any day

[ QUOTE ]
Here I was .... had all the ratings upto MEI .... loans all paid off ... eager to join a flight school ... and follow the path leading to the ultimate dream - "Window office at 35000 ft"

For 5 months toiled hard to find that elusive CFI job ... went far and wide looking for it ...
applied at tons of schools ... but heard the same line everywhere "Not hiring ... will call when we resume"

Ran out of money ... had to find flying/non-flying job .. whatever came my way first ...

Applied at a computer firm and got the job immediately ....

A week later received call from a flight school offering the job but could not accept .... had commited to the current one ...

[/ QUOTE ]
So... let me get this straight:

You spent a buttload of money on getting your ratings - which you got all the way through MEI;

Couldn't find a flying job so you took something until a flying job came along;

THEN...

A flying job comes along... and you turn it down???????????

Sorry man, but that makes NO sense and I don't see your dilemma. Just MHO - but, I'd be out the door of that office and at the FBO quicker'n sh*t through a goose.

May be just me though.

R2F

Seriously... it's not like you owe them anything just because you were asked to work there.

Anyways it's probably too late to accept the flight job... but at least you can make some $$$, pay off some loans, and maybe buy a flight hour or two.

Jason, I didn't realize your pay and schedule at your current job. I saw you post something about law school, and was wondering why anyone would want to leave a corporate job flying the equipment you do. Now I see...
blush.gif

I would have loved to take that job, but had made a commitment to this place, so could not accept it. There is no dilemma, just bad timing :) .... The final goal is still getting to the cockpit. But now, it would happen later than the intial plan.

[ QUOTE ]
But......

....awwww - forget it.

Good luck. I still would have jumped all over the flying job.

R2F

[/ QUOTE ]

Leaving a job u just got for a CFI job is not really what a national/major ailrine likes to see on a resume....this might (and i say might...) look unprofessional to a recruiter...Job stability and respect of commitments are good points...but again it's a non-flying job.....
tongue.gif

I would just see it that way...It wasn't meant to be (the CFI job)...there is other ways to get your hours up like has been said earlier...WE, night..
Just don't give up and stay current ! Good luck !

[ QUOTE ]
....this might (and i say might...) look unprofessional to a recruiter...Job stability and respect of commitments are good points

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that may be true, but you could also tell the interviewer it was either eat and sleep or be homeless. I think he'd understand!
smirk.gif

I really wanted to share this with you guys. 8 months since posting this topic, I've finally finished my contract and have been offered a position at the same school I rejected. Excited to start this new career and life and hoping for the best
smile.gif

Back