20 training tips to get certified

This was posted in the members area of the NATCA message board... I think it's well written and good advice for anyone that is training.

I hope this helps our new Brothers and Sisters to get through training. Remember no matter how many years you have in this Agency training sucks.

1. Stay positive

2. Be prepared, (know your MVA's, Handoffs inter facility and intra facility,SOP, Phraseology, Aircraft types etc.

3. Be on time, to work and back from breaks, ( The FAA is just looking for any reason to fire you in a probationary status)

4. Find the Alpha Dog, Find out who the best controllers are, and watch how they work the sector.

5. Never Argue with your instructor on position, It's his or her ticket. Any questions/disagreements take care of them at the debrief.

6. Be a sponge, watch and learn how CPC's work and take the best techniques from all of them.

7. Make copies of all your training reports. Read them, don't make the same errors over and over.
8. Ask questions, if you don't know something learn where to find the information.

9. Be confident, NOT COCKY OR ARROGANT!!!!! If you sound confident you will repeat less transmissions and decrease your workload.

10. Work like is is busy all the time, establish good work habits that will stay with you the rest of your career.

11. Learn how to listen, actively listening is a learned skill, it takes work, and will save your a** on readback hearback.

12. Increase your keyboard skills, practice talking and typing.

13. Study on your breaks, there is nothing worse than a developmental on the fence that, is always watching tv, or reading a book, or playing cards. Perception is everything.

14. Join the Union, membership has its privileges. It's much easier to make it through training when you have the support of your Brothers and Sisters.

15. Be ready to train every shift, ask to train, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

16. Know how many hours you have to get certified on each position, and keep track to the minute of your training times.

17.Don't be afraid to talk to your Union representative, if you are having problems in training. Don't wait until you have 2 hours left to train be proactive.

18. Socialize with your peers, be a part of the team, go to facility events etc.

19. Take pride in your career, never discount the importance of your profession and that of your Brothers and Sisters.

20. Realize that not everyone can do this job, When you make it, remember being part of this profession is something to be very proud of.

I hope these tips help you.

What he says is a universal fact. Thank God I am well versed in this. For you future tower controllers, keep your head on a swivel.

This is good advice, but I wouldn't say these steps are different than coming into any other seniority influenced career, or prison. :)

Back