2 quick ATP questions

jjm

I've got about 30 hours, and would like to take a tour of ATP--any cheap suggestions? (I'm flying down from up north, so with the plane ticket, etc, I'd like to make it as cost effective as possible.)

Also-- I keep hearing people mention, "take the writtens before coming": any suggestions on how to go about doing this? DVD course or books? I think I know how to go about signing up for the actual tests, but someone whose done it before could enlighten me as to how they did it. (be specific if you can!

Thanks
JM

I used king videos and the gleim books. You really only need the gleim books in my opinion. The king videos are great, but very expensive.
When you put your deposit down to save a start date, ask them to send you all of the books for the private course and the career pilot program. Included with the books are all of the gleim books you'll need. You have to ask for them to send you the career pilot program books if you're doing the private pilot program. Other wise they will not send you any books. I think you may have to purchase the private pilot gleim book. That will not be included. Hope this helps.

Hey JJM, How's flying going at EHFC?

You know, it'd be funny if we both attended ATP around the same time from the same (general) area
grin.gif

From the area, two choices are USAirways out of KITH (For some round trip price in the 200-400 range).

JetBlue is a bit cheaper I think at around 79 dollars a (one way) ticket (check the website) out of Syracuse, but they don't fly into Jacksonville
mad.gif

Since USAirways is the only airline out of ITH, you'll have to look around a bit at other Airports (Binghamton has a few).

Now that I think of it, there is some sort of charter airline of which's name I do not remember, flying 727s from Syracuse to Jax twice a week for 60 bucks a pop.. Sounds kind of scary to me though.

Edit: Continental has some okay prices out of Syracuse from travelocity.

Thanks for the replies! EHFC is going well-- I'm finding myself treading water right now-- working a heck of a lot and not making enough $ to fly consistently (by that I mean fly enough like 3 times a week). I figured that it might be better to not flush a lot of money away up here and not make a lot of progress, and flush a HELL of a lot of money away down there and make some definite progress. I'd rather devote myself to training full-time... although I love flying around the Finger Lakes region. It's pretty cool and pretty low-key.
Thank you robair-- I may be bugging you a bit in the future.
JDMc- where are you located?
J

Thanks for the replies! EHFC is going well-- I'm finding myself treading water right now-- working a heck of a lot and not making enough $ to fly consistently (by that I mean fly enough like 3 times a week). I figured that it might be better to not flush a lot of money away up here and not make a lot of progress, and flush a HELL of a lot of money away down there and make some definite progress.

Well you'd probably make some progress down there
tongue.gif
. How many hours are you on your PPL?(or have you finished?)

I'd rather devote myself to training full-time... although I love flying around the Finger Lakes region. It's pretty cool and pretty low-key.

Yeah the whole region is really awesome to look at, a lot of parks of which I haven't been to in years
crazy.gif

Thank you robair-- I may be bugging you a bit in the future.
JDMc- where are you located?
J

I'm about 20-30 minutes out of KITH, But I'm in the area (and Cortland) often. I live in No-wheres-ville NY, and it's true; The main attractions are a pile of rocks and a tree.

I agree 150% that you should finish the writtens before you start at ATP-you'll be busy enough already. I used a King CD-ROM course and the Sporty's video course for the instrument material, and the Jepp book and the Jepp videos from my local FBO for the commercial material. The CFI material is similar to the commercial, plus the flight maneuvers. The FOI is easy, just get the Gleim book.
You can "rent" videos from justplanevideos.com, I used them for the Sporty's videos. As for software, I bought the King set on Ebay for less than half what it cost new.

Good luck!

Back