2 questions for my fellow controllers..

Jamesrw2002

Gents- I'm a navy controller based out of sunny NAS Kingsville in Texas.

1st question: We have a set of intersecting duals, and a debate was brought up today as to whether an aircraft landing on 35R could take the offduty (as we call it) 13's and hold in between the 35 duals on the 13's, even though there are no hold short markings present. 7110.65 says a vehical/ Aircraft can be instructed to hold short of a point but there appears to be some grey area as it doesnt specify if that's allowed on a runway. Just to let you guys know, we arent talking about LAHSO operations, the 13's would infact not be our landing and departing runway.

2nd question: I'm set to get out of the Navy this year. I'm close to getting my CTO, but I'm worried they may stop my training to train someone else that may stay longer (although I've progressed pretty quickly and they've assured me if I keep it up I'll continue to train local)... I'm looking very hard at the FAA and am wondering what I can expect. Any help will be greatly appreciated

thanks guys
James

To answer your first question, yes, you may have an aircraft hold short of an active runway while it is on an intersecting runway. My facility has intersecting runways and on a daily basis we have vehicles and aircraft use the shorter runway more as a taxiway than as a runway. However, I (and I assume pilots too) are more comfortable having aircraft sit idle on taxiways and not runways, even though they aren't considered "active". After looking at your airport diagram I could see how using the intersecting runway as a holding point would be common running simultaneous approaches.

As to your second question, tell the Navy you've had a change of heart and you want to stay in for 20 years, but don't sign a contract. Then they'll be super motivated to train you, you'll get your CTO and can still punch at the end of your current enlistment:D I know as soon as I told my superiors in the AF about my intentions to get out and join the FAA, I was definitely treated like the black sheep...:rolleyes:

HD

Thanks HD... Was looking for something to back that up in writing, but there doesnt appear to be, I suppose it will remain one of the many gray areas of our job.

As for getting out, as far as they know I'm staying in. I was looking for more of what to expect in the FAA though... pay, benifits, hours.. stuff like that. I'm looking forward to being in the FAA. :rawk:

T(and I assume pilots too) are more comfortable having aircraft sit idle on taxiways and not runways, even though they aren't considered "active".

I don't have a lot of time or time sitting on a runway but when I have, breathing was optional and squirming was mandatory. :laff:

Thanks HD... Was looking for something to back that up in writing, but there doesnt appear to be, I suppose it will remain one of the many gray areas of our job.

As for getting out, as far as they know I'm staying in. I was looking for more of what to expect in the FAA though... pay, benifits, hours.. stuff like that. I'm looking forward to being in the FAA. :rawk:

As you know not every situation is covered in the .65 and if it's not covered, use your best judgement. If the ticket holder behind you says don't do it, don't. When you're checked out, then push the issue. I know our QA guy tells us we can't clear aircraft for the option or to land while another aircraft is back-taxiing on the runway (part of our parallel is closed). I mean whats the point of "anticipated separation" then? I will continue my practice until they change the .65 or our local directives banning the practice.

As for the FAA experience, I can only offer my opinion and it will differ from some yet be similiar to others. Hours are similiar to rotating shifts I had in the military. Overtime isn't too much of an issue where I'm at but our staffing is better than most. Pay, well that should be self explanitory at this point. Sucks but hopefully it will get better. I make more than I did in the military but less than I did working contract. Benefits are good, it's a gov't job, but not as good as the military. Nothing can really compare to the military though. Leave and sick time together will equal what you get in the military, 20 days a year annual (assuming you did at least 4 yrs Navy) and 10 sick days. Morale? Depends. The AF definitely came up with some asinine rules, yet the FAA gives them a run for their money, no doubt! I'm okay now but if the pay doesn't change in the next few years, I MAY look other places.

HD

Gents- I'm a navy controller based out of sunny NAS Kingsville in Texas.

1st question: We have a set of intersecting duals, and a debate was brought up today as to whether an aircraft landing on 35R could take the offduty (as we call it) 13's and hold in between the 35 duals on the 13's, even though there are no hold short markings present. 7110.65 says a vehical/ Aircraft can be instructed to hold short of a point but there appears to be some grey area as it doesnt specify if that's allowed on a runway. Just to let you guys know, we arent talking about LAHSO operations, the 13's would infact not be our landing and departing runway.

2nd question: I'm set to get out of the Navy this year. I'm close to getting my CTO, but I'm worried they may stop my training to train someone else that may stay longer (although I've progressed pretty quickly and they've assured me if I keep it up I'll continue to train local)... I'm looking very hard at the FAA and am wondering what I can expect. Any help will be greatly appreciated

thanks guys
James

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa, wait a second.

I thought you were gonna be a cop or something?

Back