2 drug misdemeanors

lakings48

Hey everybody. I am 18, and a freshman at UVU, studying aviation science. The other day, I was charged with 2 misdemeanors- possession of controlled substances marijuana, and use/poss of drug paraphernalia. I am going to court now. I don’t have a lot of money, and paying a lawyer may be out of the option, so I might use a public defender. It is my first ticket in ANYTHING ever. A lawyer I met with said I can plea abeyance, likely pay some fines, and take classes to clean my record, but I am very nervous. This may not be the forum to go to, but I don’t have a lot of support, and I need some help. Will this ruin my chance at the airlines if the class B misdemeanors are removed? I understand this field requires the upmost professionalism, and I am learning from my mistakes right now. Anything is possible I believe if I work hard enough, but this is a stressful situation. I haven’t started flying yet, I wouldn’t have been smoking if I was.

I have no advice for you, but I will say I expect to see more of these issues as the pot regulations are all in flux. For us older guys, yeah, it's a bigger deal. As the years go on, I can see it diminishing, especially on any recreational drugs.

Do what you can to keep as much as possible off your record. Best of luck. Sorry I couldn't help more.

I can't predict what will happen on the airline front, but if you are looking at flying, understand the case may have an effect on your ability to get an FAA medical certificate. It probably won't preclude it but it will likely trigger an inquiry which will make the process more difficult.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

I have no advice for you, but I will say I expect to see more of these issues as the pot regulations are all in flux. For us older guys, yeah, it's a bigger deal. As the years go on, I can see it diminishing, especially on any recreational drugs.

Do what you can to keep as much as possible off your record. Best of luck. Sorry I couldn't help more.

No, thank you so much. I appreciate the honest answers the most.

I can't predict what will happen on the airline front, but if you are looking at flying, understand the case may have an effect on your ability to get an FAA medical certificate. It probably won't preclude it but it will likely trigger an inquiry which will make the process more difficult.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Yeah that's what I've been reading. Thank you so much for the response, any little bit of info helps!!!

When I was your age the legacy airlines (best jobs) required 20/20 uncorrected vision. My AME tried to steer me away from the career cause I wore glasses. He was well meaning but I still wanted to fly even if I couldn't be an "airline pilot". Looking back on it, the 20/20 uncorrected standard was laughable and went away quite a long time ago. Who knows what changes the future will bring...

Hey everybody. I am 18, and a freshman at UVU, studying aviation science. The other day, I was charged with 2 misdemeanors- possession of controlled substances marijuana, and use/poss of drug paraphernalia. I am going to court now. I don’t have a lot of money, and paying a lawyer may be out of the option, so I might use a public defender. It is my first ticket in ANYTHING ever. A lawyer I met with said I can plea abeyance, likely pay some fines, and take classes to clean my record, but I am very nervous. This may not be the forum to go to, but I don’t have a lot of support, and I need some help. Will this ruin my chance at the airlines if the class B misdemeanors are removed? I understand this field requires the upmost professionalism, and I am learning from my mistakes right now. Anything is possible I believe if I work hard enough, but this is a stressful situation. I haven’t started flying yet, I wouldn’t have been smoking if I was.

Prop 2 passed bro, you couldn't wait?

Hell, boyo! In 5-10 years nobody is going to care about anything anymore. We're most of the way there already. (See: more people should engage in fraud, raping and victim blame, flying drones near airports, not paying taxes, killing black folk with impunity, building strip malls in farm fields... ... ...) You're good. Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

When I was your age the legacy airlines (best jobs) required 20/20 uncorrected vision. My AME tried to steer me away from the career cause I wore glasses. He was well meaning but I still wanted to fly even if I couldn't be an "airline pilot". Looking back on it, the 20/20 uncorrected standard was laughable and went away quite a long time ago. Who knows what changes the future will bring...

You are right. Thank you sir!!!!

You are aware Pot is still illegal for people with jobs regulated by the (US Govt - in this case FAA) right? Doesn't matter if the states legalize it.

Being a "kid" probably works in your favor as in "Sorry, I was young and made a mistake. I'll never do it again". (and then don't do it again!)

Back