2 Blackhawks down

AP23089263768638.jpg

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) — Two Army helicopters crashed Wednesday night in southwestern Kentucky during a routine training mission, causing “several” casualties, military officials said.

The two HH-60 Blackhawk helicopters, part of the 101st Airborne Division, crashed around 10 p.m. Wednesday in Trigg County, Kentucky, according to a statement from Fort Campbell.

The 101st Airborne confirmed the crash, saying on Twitter it resulted in “several casualties” but did not specify whether those were injuries or deaths.

“Right now our focus is on the Soldiers and their families who were involved,” it added.

Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear had said earlier that fatalities were expected, adding that police and emergency officials were responding.

The crash is under investigation.
Date:29-MAR-2023
Time:c. 21:35
Type:
Silhouette image of generic H60 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different

Sikorsky HH-60 Blackhawk
Owner/operator:US Army
MSN:
Fatalities:Fatalities: / Occupants:
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage:Written off (damaged beyond repair)
N.gif
United States of America
Phase:En route
Nature:Military
Departure airport:Campbell Army Airfield, KY (HOP/KHOP
Destination airport:
Narrative:
Two US Army Sikorsky HH-60 Blackhawks, operated by the 101st Airborne Division, have collided near Highway 68, near Fort Campbell, Trigg County, Kentucky.
Reports state there are about nine casualties.

Last edited:
Man that is ****tty. I know every military aviator spouse is (at least secretly) terrified of getting that knock on the door. Sounds like some probably got it tonight.

Also the rest of us all trying to wait and find out if we lost any good friends.

Given where this was, probably just a routine progression flight out at Barkley Lake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also the rest of us all trying to wait and find out if we lost any good friends.

Given where this was, probably just a routine progression flight out at Barkley Lake.

As my peers have aged, I have enjoyed a long period where I stopped being immediately concerned whether I might have lost a friend in a military aircraft crash.

That concern has been replaced with concern that a friend might have lost a son or daughter in a crash.

I’m waiting for names to be released.

Last edited:
As my peers have aged, I have enjoyed a long period where I stopped being immediately concerned whether I might have lost a friend in a military aircraft crash.

That concern has been replaced with concern that a friend might have lost a son or daughter in a crash.

I’m waiting for names to be released.

Yeah I passed through the age/experience pool of it always being people I knew from my group, and now it’s unfortunately people I or my friends have trained.

Unfortunately they are reporting 9 dead from the last press conference they had at Campbell. Dark time for a lot of families.

Back