1st Class Medical

Paaaaatel

Hey guys and gals!

There's something I want to clear up, regarding the 1st Class Medical.

Lets assume you fail the medical for whatever reason. Is that the end or beginning of the end of your flying career, or do you get another shot (or however many you need!) at the medical exam again, at a later time?

Werent too sure about this, cause I hear you people say "If you loose your medical, you can kiss your flying career goodbye!".

Reponses would be appreciated!

Later!

I think what people mean is that should you lose it due to uncorrectable vision problems, heart trouble, mental issues, seizures, etc., it's hard to overcome the problems and get it back. A lot of the disqualifying factors aren't 'here today, gone tomorrow' things. They're more permanent.

Here's another questions for those flying for the regionals/majors...

Can you continue to use your own AME after you are hired or do you have to use one that the airlines send you to? In others words, do you have a choice who you go to every six months and then just have to show proof to your company, or do you go when/to who/and where the company sends you?

Thanks,

Bob

[ QUOTE ]
Here's another questions for those flying for the regionals/majors...

Can you continue to use your own AME after you are hired or do you have to use one that the airlines send you to? In others words, do you have a choice who you go to every six months and then just have to show proof to your company, or do you go when/to who/and where the company sends you?

Thanks,

Bob

[/ QUOTE ]

You are free to use your AME. That goes for MOST airlines. There are exceptions to that of course. I believe AMR maintains their own medical staff. I know that they handle at least all the medical prescreening for Amercan and Eagle. Not sure about the continuing medical certification, however. Perhaps someone from the AMR family could clear that up for us.

AMR gives you a through medical, and even though the doctor is an AME he is NOT allowed to give you a medical certificate. No! That would make too much sense!

You are still required to go out and pay for your own.

[ QUOTE ]
AMR gives you a through medical, and even though the doctor is an AME he is NOT allowed to give you a medical certificate. No! That would make too much sense!

You are still required to go out and pay for your own.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have heard it said that Logical and Airline Industry are mutually exclusive terms.
wink.gif

At most airlines I know of, you are free to use whatever AME you wish.

Yes, the AMR medical department does prescreening medicals for American and Eagle employees. A friend of mine (Redbirdfan on this forum) just got the "astronaut medical" here recently and is awaiting an Eagle class date.

AMR also does a few things that don't make sense. This, I suppose, is why some of their employees have taken to calling the place AMRon. (Ha ha.)

I believe Tenney's avatar is from his Mesa days, probably taken somewhere in Florida.

[ QUOTE ]

Lets assume you fail the medical for whatever reason. Is that the end or beginning of the end of your flying career, or do you get another shot (or however many you need!) at the medical exam again, at a later time?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depending on the company, you may have the opportunity to go on short/long term disability until you're able to clear up the reason for your disqualification. If the FAA agrees to reissue your medical, depending on your company, you're back in bizzniss. But if your medical is gone, game over.

More pilots than you realize lose medicals, most are short term and usually they're able to work with a good flight surgeon to clear up the condition. My union has an absolutely KICKASS aeromedical division.

But if you can't get your medical back, it's pretty much time to call 800-TruckMasters.

[ QUOTE ]

But if you can't get your medical back, it's pretty much time to call 800-TruckMasters.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate to beat a dead horse, BUT… I guess this is even more reason for that all important college degree! It is also why many pilots have "side businesses".

Depending on the company, you may have the opportunity to go on short/long term disability until you're able to clear up the reason for your disqualification. If the FAA agrees to reissue your medical, depending on your company, you're back in bizzniss. But if your medical is gone, game over.

More pilots than you realize lose medicals, most are short term and usually they're able to work with a good flight surgeon to clear up the condition. My union has an absolutely KICKASS aeromedical division.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would add that, depending upon the circumstances (such as the nature of the medical condition and the length of time expected to regain the medical), a pilot may have rights to leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and/or state law. Of course, this is completely dependent upon the condition being one from which the FAA will allow "recovery."

Back