$162 million up for grabs

You'd have a heart attack if you heard about what the Cards (baseball) are trying to get the State/City to do for them and their recent "want" fo ra new stadium back in St. Louis! Hell, Busch Stadium is fine- and almost historic now! Grrrrrr.
cool.gif

The Cardinals will break ground on the new stadium within the next month. The stadium will be built on the parking lot between Busch Stadium and Highway 40. It will be mainly privately financed with small amounts(for a stadium anyway) being put up by the City of St. Louis, St. Louis County and the state of Missouri.

[ QUOTE ]
I hoped the stadium would fall through too.

Public money has no place in private enterprise.

Besides, I think the NFL only flourishes in cities where people are locked indoors for most of the winter.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm STILL pissed for having to pay for the Bank One Ballpark through my taxes. And I don't even like baseball!

When I left they were threatening to build it in ESTL!
cool.gif

I'm glad to hear the State and City didn't bow into them. I still think it's a shame to lose Busch - there's not a damned thing wrong with that stadium.
mad.gif

Are they still going to build those goofy townhouses and that "shopping" thing along with the new stadium?

Ballpark village is still planned, but the ballpark village for the privately financed stadium is not going to be as big as the original plan as in the original plan the Cardinals were going to pay for all of Ballpark Village and now that money will partially be going to cover the actual stadium.

I can't blame them for trying but the no one wants to live anywhere near downtown. The lofts over on Washington still aren't being filled (last I heard) and it's for several reasons. 1) Anytime there is a game of any kind (and with three major league stadiums all within 20 blocks of each other there is a game nearly every weekend, year round) you simply can not get around (much less park) in downtown. 2) there are no grocery stores anywhere downtown - and no one (even the people who live there) don't want to go to East St. Louis for groceries. 3) everything closes at 5 p.m.

I think it's a goofy plan but if they want to throw their money away .. I guess let 'em go for it.

I'm all for revitalization of downtown but there has to be a lot more work done before people will want to live there.
crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Heck, if I won that much money, I'd pay the house off, buy a car, quit my job then take off to Europe for a month.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I did not win that much, did not have a house or a car to pay of BUT I did quit my job, and go to Australia for 6-10 months.

[ QUOTE ]
I thought the AUS gig was semi-permanent?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah - I will probably be leaving in March either on the Cargo flight MEL-LHR, and then on AA LHR-LAX or just straight back on QF.

You can only really travel when you are young - so that is what I am doing. I always regretted not doing a student exchange program down here when I was in HS, so I decided before it was too late I would take an extended vacation/work/life experience trip down here.

The US is my home; I always buy a return ticket for piece of mind, I know I am always going home!!
smile.gif

You did it right. Get the traveling done while you're young and have the ability to live anywhere.

Whenever I travel to Europe, I've got to at least have a confirmed hotel, some AC plugs for Kristie's hair dryer and a private bath.

I think the problem in the US is most people discover that we're living in a huge world dying to be explored, we're 80 years old on a "Hoveround" scooter and driving around a white Ford Crown Victoria.

I am really pleased with how I have done it - when I get home in March I will have lived, intergrated, and worked in all the countries I have wanted to. I think I have gained far more from it then I realise!

My only concern is that only having a US greencard, I have to be careful as if it looks like I have abandoned living in the US as they will take my green card away - having the thought you might not be allowed back home is kind of a scary one, but I feel confident that it if it does become an issue they will view it for what it is - young guy wanting to see the world before he settles down.

When I get back to the US I think I am going to go and live in a mountain community either SLC or DEN. I am not sure what it is but after living the English countryside, the heart of the city in Melbourne, the surburbs of LA, I want to go and live in the mountains! I just wonder if I am hard enough to battle out the cold!

hi this is my first post on this board......(where's my complimentary Rolex?
grin.gif
)

I happen to live about a 1/2 mile from where the winning ticket was sold...on the Cleveland Heights border with South Euclid in the east suburbs of Cleveland. (Unfortunatly for my father, he bought his ticket at a pharmacy about 500 ft away from the winning store).

I'm just happy that the real winner can obtain her money and I hope that the woman who "lost" her ticket pays for her prank.

Mike McM

What's it like living down under? I tossed the idea of moving down to New Zealand for a year or two when I got laid off but decided not to pull the trigger. I should have done it. I didn't get another job in my field for almost a year so I could have spent that time in New Zealand, learning about a different country and a different culture.

It is great down here. I just enjoy travelling, especially when you stay there for a while and become accustomed to teh local culture, go to work with the, hang out with them, etc (not that Melbourne is that different from any other western country).

I betchya Hugh Grant is getting pretty excited about now!

Did you hear that she filed a lawsuit seeking some of the winnings?

Now that they unearthed a criminal record, she may just want to fade off into obscurity.

Back