1500hr Rule Must Comply by 2019

H.R. 5900 section 217 look it up and read it for yourself
Without looking, isn't the rule no longer and HR, and is now an NPR or NPRM, whatever they call it at the FAA, which is open for public commentating? That's what I heard but have no confirmation...

Without looking, isn't the rule no longer and HR, and is now an NPR or NPRM, whatever they call it at the FAA, which is open for public commentating? That's what I heard but have no confirmation...

Im pretty sure it is finalized, i know the nprm is done and all the comments have been discarded.

The only time you hear "pilot shortage" from me is when the Majors can't fill new hire classes. This is what actually happened in the 1960s. I just don't see that happening again anytime in the foreseeable future.

What I think IS coming is that there will be a shortage in the bottom feeder regionals (mesa, colgan, gulfstream, great lakes, ect). It won't matter how much Mesa underbids Skywest if Mesa can't staff it's flights.

I agree. There are thousands upon thousands of regional pilots that would love to go to a major. The shortage in the 60's was from all our pilots flying in the war. When they came back the shortage was over. A lot of people view the regionals as a stepping stone, which management loves by the way, but when people got stuck on that first stone for over a decade the gamble of making it to a major became to great and that turned away a lot of people from joining the industry.

I agree. There are thousands upon thousands of regional pilots that would love to go to a major. The shortage in the 60's was from all our pilots flying in the war. When they came back the shortage was over. A lot of people view the regionals as a stepping stone, which management loves by the way, but when people got stuck on that first stone for over a decade the gamble of making it to a major became to great and that turned away a lot of people from joining the industry.

I understand where you are coming from, but the average age in the major is 59, thats pretty top heavy.

http://www.smartbrief.com/wsj.jsp?id=19111667
"Training, Tax Credits Among Ideas to Solve Pilot Crisis"

"We're going to have to do something unique" to find answers, John Allen, a senior Federal Aviation Administration official, told a training conference in Washington over the summer. Without swift, coordinated action, he told another industry gathering, "by the time big airlines feel [a shortage], the need will be critical."

It doesn't really matter "how" they do it, the all mighty dollar is king. And we're going to wind up with a whole generation of SJS indentured servants who have 200 hours in the Sim, a multi crew "license" and a map with which they keep finding a hole in the ground rather than their asses. Watch and learn how the world really works.

we're going to wind up with a whole generation of SJS indentured servants who have 200 hours in the Sim, a multi crew "license" and a map with which they keep finding a hole in the ground rather than their asses. Watch and learn how the world really works.

ehhhh? lol, what you saying man? lol, I conphused...

Essentially that, one way or another, the notion of having more experienced pilots in the cockpit will be corrupted to some cheaper but supposedly "equivalent" scheme. Most likely involving "multi-crew" licensing and/or experience "breaks" for puppymill grads. Economics dictate it, and for our Captive Government, Capital is King. The best gummint money can buy!

I remain a skeptic that the rule will be implemented at all. Congress could easily get involved. All it takes is a terrorist attack, abnormally high fuel prices or just the public screaming about 1500 dollar tickets to fly transcon. Like Boris says the race to the bottom is good for business.

That's why I keep spitting my coffee all over the instrument panel when the crusty old captain asks what my goals in aviation are. Dude what decade are you living in? My goal in aviation is to not get laid off and cope with a job loss. Well a few months on unemployment would be great. Yeah. I work for a 135 operator with 10k resumes on file that guys would sell their first born to get hired at and my idea of improving my life would be to get on the dole again.

Christ my parents just bought round trip tickets from OAK to Kona for less that 300 bucks. WTF? You can't drive there. The business model is so broken it isn't even recognizable as a business anymore. CEO and board gang raping one airline to the next because they know they will get a bailout. All they have to do is orchestrate something to sway public opinion. Boom. No more 1500 rule. Rest rules revised. Cabotage rules dismantled. Or just replace the pilots with 250 hour wonders.

You know why I'm still in aviation? Because I'm not really good at anything else. But I wish I was.

Re read this, then read the WSJ article again. Decide for yourself if the article isn't purely a piece to, and I quote myself: "sway public opinion." I am confident that if there is indeed enough of a shortage to possibly increase QOL or wages you will see one of the following: "dismantle the 1500hr rule, dismantle the new work rules or increase the retirement age to 67 or 68. It will happen this time next year.

Re read this, then read the WSJ article again. Decide for yourself if the article isn't purely a piece to, and I quote myself: "sway public opinion." I am confident that if there is indeed enough of a shortage to possibly increase QOL or wages you will see one of the following: "dismantle the 1500hr rule, dismantle the new work rules or increase the retirement age to 67 or 68. It will happen this time next year.

Or lower the Minimum ATP age :)

Regionals don't set the rates for their flying, they're paid a specified amount for every departure they do for their mainline carrier.

What WILL happen is that the mainline carriers won't pay the additional rates necessary to keep regionals afloat, the regionals will go bankrupt, and then mainline will take the flying back in house.
This

So because I failed my private checkride almost 5 years ago, I should not be able to get an ATP if I have over 1,500 hours but younger than 23?

Back