141 Commercial time building

A10hog

Can anyone point me to the regulation that states I have to do ALL my time building in the flight school's 141 certified aircraft? Is there truth in this statement?

Thanks

Its in their 141 TCO (141.39), you can bring in time but its up to the school how much of that time they want to take. they can take at most 50% from another 141 school, 25% from part 61 (141.77)

Der_Meister,

That all makes sense.. However all my training has been in their aircraft, but now I have bought ownership into a aircraft and want to do some of the time building in that aircraft. I will check with the chief instructor about their TCO...

I doubt their TCO will let you do that. The TCO's that I preside over are very particular on the Aircraft and equipment in the aircraft.

You got to do it in their airplane. The 141 schools operating specifications list what aircraft the schools must use. If its not on that list, they can not use it. To put your aircraft on that list, you have to give the flight school operational control of your airplane, do a conformity maintenance inspection with the FAA, etc... (not worth the hassle).

Is there any reason that you got to do it in a 141 course? (Such as for college credit, loans or VA benefits etc.) If not, one option is to do all your time building part 61. Then it does not matter what airplane you use.

What Fly Unity said. Also, the Chief CFI of a 141 school is always in a balancing act between viewing you as a consumer, and a product, whereas you only see the consumer side. What we're always afraid of in the 141 world is getting a call from a DE or an employer that goes like so: "I've got A10hog here in my office, and he says he learned xyz down at your flight school. Now, what are you morons teaching down there?" So, a big part of the percieved inflexibility on the part of good 141 schools is really quality control. In a way, it's a good thing that he didn't wave you out of his office, and say "yeah, sure, go right ahead."

I know it sucks, but it's part of getting a good education.

Fly Unity, you hit the nail on the head... Using my VA benefits... Hammertime, it all makes sense, sucks but it all makes sense.. I selected this school because of its quality control and great maintenance...

Thanks guys for the information...

Back