135 VFR Ops

MNFlyboy

Ok, so our company has a few selected "approved" routes to be flown VFR under a VFR flight plan (I don't remember how to use those). How does an operator get these approved for use by the FAA or is it just a company specific thing.

I'm sure the cargo carriers WAY up north use VFR routes, but any other operators know more on the subject?

We have one route that runs VFR with a VFR-only pilot so if weather comes up they have him sit standby and send someone else on the run.

You can run any route VFR as long as its legal and permitted in your Ops Specs (most companies I've seen that allow VFR flying still require Flight Following for tracking purposes).

Both 135s I've worked at permit VFR flying on scheduled 135 routes as long as we're on flight following.

If you're permitted to fly 135 VFR per ops specs, you don't have to have to have a VFR or IFR flight plan filed/activated. In that case, flight locating (135.79) is required whenever a flight plan isn't filed. Flight locating must provide at least the minimum information required per VFR flight plans as well.

I squawk 1200 and don't even get flight following most of the time on our EMS flights until I get close to the city. We do flight locating on every flight (filing a company flight plan as well as with a satelite GPS tracker.)

Ok, so our company has a few selected "approved" routes to be flown VFR under a VFR flight plan (I don't remember how to use those). How does an operator get these approved for use by the FAA or is it just a company specific thing.

I'm sure the cargo carriers WAY up north use VFR routes, but any other operators know more on the subject?

If you have the VFR opsec then you do it, otherwise you don't. Simple as that. I can chose to fly VFR or IFR on any flight I want.

Back