1100 hours, Next Step?

FlyByWire22

Evening all,

As some of you know, I'm down in Miami flying jumpers in a C182. It's been an awesome first job in aviation - great climate, learned a lot about managing an airplane, and got to skydive a few times :biggrin: My contract is up in December, and I will be looking for the next step. My ultimate goal is to fly corporate, but am not opposed to trying any avenue in aviation. Just curious if anyone has any suggestions on the next step from here? I know of a couple 135s in Michigan, and will probably start feeling around, seeing if anyone is hiring for the right seat after the New Year; as I'm guessing not many companies will be hiring in the middle of the holiday season. I won't be 135 IFR PIC legal (not enough TT or x-country) but would be available as an SIC. I know Amflight has a SIC program, as well as Cape Air, then you transition to PIC. Thoughts on those? Also saw PlaneSense is hiring F.O.s for their PC-12s. Being in Florida already, definitely wouldn't be opposed to an MCO basing. Just didn't know how you would log SIC in a single pilot turboprop? Any leads or tips would be greatly appreciated - here in Florida or anywhere for that matter. I'm not opposed to moving for the right opportunity. I've looked into IBC down here in Miami, but not very familiar with them - any thoughts on that operation would be appreciated as well. My times in December will probably be just under 1200TT with around 50ME. High performance, complex, tailwheel. Thanks!

- Adam

Screen-Shot-2012-03-30-at-3.15.38-AM-1024x759.jpg

Stay put... get your 400 hours and then interview everywhere you can get a call back. If you want freight IFL, Skyway, AMF, IBC, and probably a few companies I don't know about are located in MIA... at 1500 hours you can even put your resume in at Allegiant just to see what happens.

Planesense requires 2 pilots per their opspecs, which is how you log SIC time in the plane. Its a great job and you'd get some great experience there. I thoroughly enjoyed my time there.

Edit: just saw you have 50me. Tread carefully if you choose a single engine operator with that amount of time. You can make a decent living flying the PC12 but it can be very difficult moving on if you don't have the multi column filled up. Ask me how I know.

I'll be watching this post, and I'd be interested in what you move on to. I am almost exactly in your boat with a bunch of 206/182 flying jumpers at right around 1100 hours.

That'd be awesome. When I hear about a DC-3 I always think about Fate is the Hunter.
Have you ever tried to read any of Ernie Gann's other books? Meh, I read a lot but FITH is definitely his best work IMHO.

I know a 135 operator flying Citations based out of MN that is hiring. They may be willing to do home basing as well if you live near MIA. Private message me if you are interested in more details. They generally want 1400 hours and the starting pay is much better than the regionals.

I know a 135 operator flying Citations based out of MN that is hiring. They may be willing to do home basing as well if you live near MIA. Private message me if you are interested in more details. They generally want 1400 hours and the starting pay is much better than the regionals.

If you're talking about the place I think you're talking about I would stay away. Far, far away.

If you're talking about the place I think you're talking about I would stay away. Far, far away.
It probably is. Its not the greatest pilot job, but it is a decent job for someone with low time looking to build some quality jet time.

We also hire 1000+ hr guys for King Airs. Great pay, bad schedule, home every night. Doubt you'd want to live in msp after mia though!

Back