100LL vs 100

DE727UPS

Well, back in the day there was 100/130 which was green. I don't think we had 100LL then, though. Haven't seen 100/130 in years, so I'm not sure what you are asking.

Is this trivia question?

mikecweb

Probably from some outdated written exam that her instructor is pushing. Just like the DF steer ########. Guys spend more time trying to teach #### like that then trying to get students heads around the ADIZ in the DC area or where to find a popup TFR.

USMCmech

Actually I am the CFI and this was a question on the written exam used at the new flight school I am working for. ;)
Then tell them that that this question is completely obsolete. 100LL is the only grade of Avgas made for almost 10 years. If you ever happen to find any 80/87 left in some barrel in the back of a hangar somewhere, it's so old and stale you shouldn't use it anyway.

You don't ask questions about 4 course radio ranges anymore. Do you?

Sidious

I sumped one of our planes last year and got green out of it. I didn't know it hasn't been made for that long or I might have thought twice about it.

woutlaw

You don't ask questions about 4 course radio ranges anymore. Do you?
I'd love to try my hand at an A-N range to see what it was like.

Not exactly related, but are there any LF airways left? I thought there were a couple still up in the coastal Carolinas and maybe Alaska a few years ago but couldn't find 'em on a recent chart.

No reason in particular, I just think NDB navigation is fun.

R

Roger, Roger

I
Not exactly related, but are there any LF airways left?.
I was just looking at one of the AK sectionals on Skyvector and it had a couple of LF airways. That was a good stumper for my student on a commercial oral review :D

Douglas

Old School KSUX
wait, do they really not make 100/130 and 80/87 anymore?
I just thought I had never been to a place that sells it.

USMCmech

wait, do they really not make 100/130 and 80/87 anymore?
I just thought I had never been to a place that sells it.
80/87 Avgas was discontinued in 2003. 100/130 was phased out long before that.

I'm sure that someone could brew up some for a special order, but the cost would be prohibitive. They produce some 145 for Reno every year, but that's about it.

jynxyjoe

Queso King
Hilarious. I love NDB's. Drives me nuts people don't care about them anymore. NDB approaches kick ass.

woutlaw

Does anyone else find this disturbing? Don't get me wrong every six months I have to shoot an NDB approach but NBD navigation...fun? Would not be high on my list.
LOL.

The really disturbing thing is the day after I wrote that I got cleared direct to the LOM going into Fargo. First time that's happened in ages. I wasn't sure there even was an ADF in that particular airplane much less one that worked.

I kinda pointed myself in the general direction and automatically started looking for the fix in the GPS. Surprisingly, it either wasn't in there or I just couldn't figure out how to find it.

Uh oh.

I blew the dust off the ADF, figured out how to turn it on, sniffed for smoke then sat there scratching my head trying to remember what I was supposed to do next.

It worked out just fine but man was I a happy camper when I could call the airport in sight a few minutes later and get the visual. :)

Classic "Be careful what you wish for, it just might get granted" moment.