100k Bonus to transfer

ATLTRACON(ret)

No staffing Crisis...remain calm

NATIONAL AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLERS ASSOCIATION (NATCA)
For Immediate Release
June 25, 2008
CONTACT: Dean Iacopelli, NATCA New York TRACON Facility Representative, 516-356-3983; Phil Barbarello, NATCA Eastern Regional VP, 516-381-6424; Rick Thompson, NATCA Alaskan Regional VP, 907-250-9985

STAFFING CRISIS WORSENS IN NEW YORK, ALASKA; FAA NOW OFFERING UP TO $100K BONUS TO EXPERIENCED CONTROLLERS TO TRANSFER

WESTBURY, N.Y. – Admitting to a worsening staffing crisis that has hurt both the safety and efficiency of the air traffic control system, the Federal Aviation Administration is now literally begging experienced controllers to fill open positions at the New York Terminal Radar Approach Control (TRACON) by offering up to $100,000 in relocation bonus money.

The FAA’s job vacancy announcement where the bonuses are detailed can be found here:
http://jobs.faa.gov/announcement_detail.asp?vac_id=106178

The FAA is also offering a $75,000 bonus to controllers who will transfer to Alaska; specifically to Fairbanks Tower and Anchorage TRACON. The FAA job announcements on these two facilities can be found here:
http://jobs.faa.gov/announcement_detail.asp?vac_id=105787
http://jobs.faa.gov/announcement_detail.asp?vac_id=105931

“It’s a sign of desperation that staffing is so bad at these facilities that the FAA has to offer such an outrageously high sum of money instead of negotiating a reasonable and logical solution to the mess it has created,” NATCA President Patrick Forrey said. “Our National Airspace System is a vital part of our national infrastructure and right now it is hurting badly. This negatively impacts the traveling public, from flight delays that cost our struggling economy billions of dollars, to needless risks the FAA is taking with travelers’ safety by forcing fewer controllers to handle more flights and increasing the level of controller fatigue.”

In the past 25 months, New York TRACON has lost 13 percent of its certified controllers on staff. But the facility has not added a single certified controller since September 2006.

There are currently 38 trainees in the facility, none of which have any previous FAA controller experience. Just a couple of years ago, the TRACON recruited almost 100 percent of its trainees from other FAA terminal facilities. This is just one example of what the DOT Inspector General reported just two weeks ago; that there is no longer a career ladder that encourages movement by experienced controllers into busier facilities, such as New York TRACON. As a result, some facilities that previously relied exclusively on transferring veteran controllers to fill vacancies have been forced to redesign their training programs to accommodate the growing numbers of inexperienced controllers.

Interestingly, veteran controllers from other FAA facilities in the New York area, who according to NATCA New York TRACON Facility Representative Dean Iacopelli, “best understand the most complex airspace in the world,” are not eligible to receive the relocation incentive and, under current FAA pay rules, would actually lose money if they transferred to the facility.

NICE!!! Wonder what the contract would include...how many years you'd be stuck there to get the full bonus... :panic:

Hire me dammit! You guys wouldn't be so short staffed if you actually picked people who are interested! I passed my ATSAT! I picked New York and New Jersey! I got no damn email!

There is a similar bid out for MCO... they're throwing money at people to go to Florida !!! A few years back people would have killed their first born to get into MCO... LOL.

This is just the latest example of the complete failure of the FAA

Hire me dammit! You guys wouldn't be so short staffed if you actually picked people who are interested! I passed my ATSAT! I picked New York and New Jersey! I got no damn email!

You'll be getting a call... they'll be sending plenty of trainees there, don't worry.

The FAA's wisdom (a term I use loosely) is that experienced controllers will certify faster. Take it for what it is... a desperate act by a desperate agency.

The FAA is also offering a $75,000 bonus to controllers who will transfer to Alaska; specifically to Fairbanks Tower and Anchorage TRACON. The FAA job announcements on these two facilities can be found here:

.... and THAT's why they're sending me to alaska.... for FREE!!

My dad's friend works at NY TRACON, and I was able to take a tour there. Too bad my boyfriend got picked for ZDC, NY TRACON would be much closer to home.

Hey ATLTRACON are you going to take them up on their offer? :)

F them!!! This is how they are fixing the staffing problem? By throwing cash around like it was going out of style. I could have sworn that we were told that the FFAA had no money and we had to become fiscally responsible, so here take a pay cut/freeze.. Then everyone retires and they panic.
I revel in watching the FFAA go down the toilet while the "decision makers" eat sheet cake and have 2 hour lunches at HQ.

The only difference between the FFAA and the Titanic is the Titanic had a band.

ATL you might revel in it but I don't. Me and the 50 or so people I carry around count on having good people on the ground. They might not know how important you are to their safety but I do.

ATL you might revel in it but I don't. Me and the 50 or so people I carry around count on having good people on the ground. They might not know how important you are to their safety but I do.

This has nothing to do with how I approach my job day in and day out. And that goes for EVERY controller.

We are just happy to see that the FFAA's master plan, that has screwed so many while lining the pockets of management before and after they have left for lucrative lobbyist gigs, while they lied and lied and lied, is now finally being shown for the scam it was/is. Marion Blakey destroyed this once fine career so she could get into bed with the airlines.

Just like if your employer was purposefully stripping the airline, you wouldn't fly any different would you? No you would take pride in what you do, day in and day out.

This has nothing to do with how I approach my job day in and day out. And that goes for EVERY controller.

We are just happy to see that the FFAA's master plan, that has screwed so many while lining the pockets of management before and after they have left for lucrative lobbyist gigs, while they lied and lied and lied, is now finally being shown for the scam it was/is. Marion Blakey destroyed this once fine career so she could get into bed with the airlines.

Just like if your employer was purposefully stripping the airline, you wouldn't fly any different would you? No you would take pride in what you do, day in and day out.

Corporate America is no different...

Hmm. Maybe someone can go back in time to 1981 and tell Reagan what was going to happen when he fired over 11,000 controllers.

I suppose a silver lining to this is that it gives controllers -- especially experienced ones -- a lot more leverage when it comes to working out better arrangements with the FAA... or at least that'd be my expectation, correct me if I'm wrong there. With the FAA between a rock and a hard place when it comes to staffing, along with growing media attention, you'd expect them to feel more pressure than ever to take care of their current workforce.

F them!!! This is how they are fixing the staffing problem? By throwing cash around like it was going out of style. I could have sworn that we were told that the FFAA had no money and we had to become fiscally responsible, so here take a pay cut/freeze.. Then everyone retires and they panic.
I revel in watching the FFAA go down the toilet while the "decision makers" eat sheet cake and have 2 hour lunches at HQ.

The only difference between the FFAA and the Titanic is the Titanic had a band.

OK, tell me how you really feel. JK.... You make some valid points. My dad is a Delta pilot and the pilots were forced to take around a 50% pay cut (if you include lost benefits) in order to keep the company a float. My step mom a fight attendant took a 30% pay cut. In the mean time their CEO takes a huge bonus. Not fair at all. Now the pilots were forced to cash out their retirement savings and pay a huge tax penalty. They were not given the option to roll it into another retirement account. He wound up paying some where in the neighborhood of 140K in taxes last year. That BITES....... So, it sounds like the FAA is making some interesting financial choices. At the same time at least the controllers are seeing some of it returned to them. Even if it is only a select few that are willing to make the sacrifice and move for the 100 K.....:panic:

Do you know anyone who is transferring for the $$$$$$$

Back