100hr inspection and checkrides

mhcasey

Hey guys,

This is just me being lazy because I can't find my hard copy of the FAR/AIM and I hate trying to dig through pdf versions. Is a 100hr required for a checkride? I believe the reg stipulates it's required, "If operated for hire or flight instruction," neither of which encompasses a checkride.

- M

Hey guys,

This is just me being lazy because I can't find my hard copy of the FAR/AIM and I hate trying to dig through pdf versions. Is a 100hr required for a checkride? I believe the reg stipulates it's required, "If operated for hire or flight instruction," neither of which encompasses a checkride.

- M
If you try to take a checkride in an airplane operated for compensation or hire that is out of 100hr I promise you that your day will suck.

Is a 100hr required for a checkride?

No. It's not a flight "for hire".

If it were my student, I would make sure the examiner knows that before sending him for the checkride. If the examiner is pretty experienced, he probably does.

If you try to take a checkride in an airplane operated for compensation or hire that is out of 100hr I promise you that your day will suck.

Why would that be? Aircraft A is normally used in IFR flight, but the VOR check is out of date. You can take it VFR no problem.

On any given day, if the aircraft in question is not operated for hire or for flight instruction, it shouldn't need a 100hr, correct? TGrayson, can you get me the reg just in case?

TGrayson, can you get me the reg just in case?

No, since you admitted being too lazy to look it up. :)

But I will give you the LOI:

Mr. Rackers:

This is in reply to your request of May 1, 1984, that we render an opinion regarding the applicability of the 100-hour inspections requirement of Section 91.169(b) of the Federal Aviation Regulations to rental
aircraft.

Section 91.169(b) of the Federal Aviation Regulations provides that, except as noted in Section 91.169(c), a person may not operate an aircraft carrying any person, other than a crewmember, for hire, and may not give flight instruction for hire in an aircraft which that person provides unless, within the previous 100 hours of time in service, the aircraft has received either an annual or a 100-hour inspection.

If a person merely leases or rents an aircraft to another person and does not provide the pilot, that aircraft is not required by Section 91.169(b) of the Federal Aviation Regulations to have a 100-hour inspection. As noted above, the 100-hour inspection is required only when the aircraft is carrying a person for hire, or when a person is providing flight instruction for hire, in their own aircraft.

If there are any questions, please advise us.

Sincerely,
/s/
Joseph T. Brennan
Associate Regional Counsel

Something important to note is that just because a plane doesn't need a 100 hour inspection for a checkride, there might be other maintenance requirements to comply with. I'm mainly thinking of airworthiness directives that recur every 100 hours.

You don't have to tear the plane apart for a full inspection, but you have to make sure the ADs are complied with in order to stay legal.

Back