10 hours complex for commercial...

farwellbooth

For the complex commercial time should I do some/most/all/none of this with a multi? I'm going to need the multi down the road and our Aztec isn't much more than the complex... It may be too big of a jump for me? I have a feeling I'll need the 10 in the complex to get the plane down and manuevers for the ride and worry about multi later, post cfi... thanks

You could get your commercial multi first, you don't have to do all those crazy commercial manuvers in the twin. Then, get the single engine add on. Do the commerical mans in a 150 or 172, don't waste your money on a 172RG or Arrow...you won't have to fly a complex for your SE commercial since you already proved your complex competency in the twin.

I did my initial commercial in a multi. Both have merits.

The only drawback to doing the multi-engine first, is that you will need more total multi-time before your checkride.
About 20 hours for an initial multi-commercial.
A multi add-on takes about 8 hours of training.
cool.gif
but there's nothing wrong with getting a lot of multi engine time
cool.gif

Hey,

Due to the lack of single-engine complex aircraft around here, I was conducting commercial ASEL complex training in a multi.

That was until they changed the interpretation of the rules. Now you HAVE to use a single engine complex aircraft for the ASEL checkride, whereas before you could use the multi to demonstrate complex proficiency. As a result, you can still use the multi to your 10 hours in, but you're going to need a single complex for the checkride. You could do 8 hours multi and then a couple of single engine complex hours to get proficiency in type and then go take your checkride....it's your choice.

Ray

[ QUOTE ]
For the complex commercial time should I do some/most/all/none of this with a multi? I'm going to need the multi down the road and our Aztec isn't much more than the complex... It may be too big of a jump for me? I have a feeling I'll need the 10 in the complex to get the plane down and manuevers for the ride and worry about multi later, post cfi... thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

depending on how willing you are to travel to get the complex time Gorge Winds here at Troutdale has an arrow here for $86 an hour plus instruction.

[ QUOTE ]
You could get your commercial multi first,

[/ QUOTE ]

it cost way more in hours to do the comm mulit without the single multi, you need an additionial 10 hrs acting as PIC. and some other Xcnty requirements...

Pain the the butt... I know that is what I did, spent way too much $ on it...

If you do your comm multi first, do you still have to do the maneuvers for the comm single add-on?

[ QUOTE ]
If you do your comm multi first, do you still have to do the maneuvers for the comm single add-on?

[/ QUOTE ]

We had too, but it was somewhat a "gentleman's checkride".

I did my complex training in the twin. Did the Comm SE checkride in a 172, then took out the twin, did a few landings, emer gear extend, etc. Landed, examiner gave me my Comm SE license. Took off again, did the multi add on, and traded the examiner me SE license for a SE and ME one. Worked out great. The arrow at the flight school was severely overpriced. The examiner had to talk to the FSDO beforehand, but they agreed that If I can fly a complex twin, I can fly a complex single.

Unfortunately this type of scenario is no longer available, per Washington HQ policy. A complex single-engine aircraft has to be used for the Comm SE checkride. Anyone able to get away with doing it this way, more power to you. I've tried several times for my students and have been denied ever since the new Commericla PTS came out last August.

Ray

[ QUOTE ]
I did my complex training in the twin. Did the Comm SE checkride in a 172, then took out the twin...

[/ QUOTE ]
EXACTLY what I'm doing. Just finished my PPMEL/IA rating wtih the complex endorsement. Working on the Comm. SEL rating (albeit in a Warrior) and will be doing the Comm. MEL add-on either the same day or the day after.

Back