Cape Air

dcramer16

Well, I'm gonna show my ignorance again, but I have some questions to ask.

I interviewed with Cape Air today, and had a blast. They seem like a great company, and a great opportunity, especially for a furloughed pilot, and especially when there's not much out there right now.

I didn't get a job offer or anything, so I might be getting a bit ahead of myself but I'm really wondering how the whole transition thing works. I asked a few questions, but didn't really get what I thought was a complete answer, and rather than asking the same questions over and over again during the interview, I thought I would address them here.

From what I understand, if I get hired on, I would go to class in December, then get stationed in PR. The company would pay up to $1000 for the move. Then in April or May, I would most likely get transitioned back up to the Cape. Then late the next fall get sent back to PR. If I was single I wouldn't care. But with a family and kids in school it makes a big difference whether I can stay in one spot or not. I understand that everything is bid on a senority based system, and I have no problem with that. With a family, it's important that I can stay in one spot.

While some pilots are in a rush to fly the biggest jet they can find, I am in a rush to find the best job I can that keeps me in one place! :DDidn't I just pick the perfect profession!!!

So how exactly does the whole transition work? What are my chances of being able to stay in one place for my year contract? It is so important to me that I don't move my daughter around during the school year, that I would most likely stay past my year contract, and stay until school was out for the summer, an extra 5 months.

The CP did make one other suggestion. That is, if I went and got my ATP on my own, I would only have to sign a 6 month contract. Then at the end of the six months, if it looked like I was going to have to transition somewhere else, I wouldn't have to. However, as a furloughed pilot, I can't really afford to get my ATP anyways.

Other than this (minor:sarcasm:) detail, this company seems like a great place to work. Assuming I get the call, I would really like to make this work. Leaving Airnet, it has been hard to find a job with a company, that I belive is comparable to the great life I had there. This company seems like one of the few.

What are my chances of being able to stay in one place for my year contract? It is so important to me that I don't move my daughter around during the school year, that I would most likely stay past my year contract, and stay until school was out for the summer, an extra 5 months.

Just to clear one thing up right off the bat. There is no contract. They have a letter of understanding that says if you leave before your 6 or 12 month obligation (depending on whether you get your ATP through Cape Air) you will get a "not elligible for rehire" letter in your file. Also, if you accept the travel bonus ($1000 for new hires, $3000 for current line captains) you will have to refund the pro-rated amount if you leave before the end of the season.

Odds of staying in one place for a full year as a new hire are pretty slim unless you are willing to accept one of the less popluar lines such as Lebanon, NH or Plattsburg NY for the winter. Another option is to take a line that offers the option of commuting. There are several in the Carib that are 4 on 4 off and the lines in Albany are all 4 on 5 off. Odds are, you will have to move south for the winter but after next summer you may be able to stay up north, though probably not on the same line.

I would almost certainly be there if I was 23 and I was trying to get on with a good company, I might still go there as soon as I turn 23 because I like the style of flying, and the direction I think they're going. I'll probably try to get on with them before I turn 23 so I can start myself working in their direction.

Back