To PEPC or not to PEPC

Guire

Hiya. Could those more familiar with the PEPC and non-PEPC processes fill me in on the pros and cons of both. I'm considering the non-PEPC route, but if it turns out to be more trouble than it's worth (I understand doing the local interview is a longer process most of the time), I'll be more than happy to go the PEPC path. Thanks!

EDIT: Whoops, posted in wrong forum. Thought this was the Application process thread. If it's bothersome, could those who can move it? Sorry for the inconvenience!

I think the PEPC process is the one of the greatest ideas the FAA has come up with. I have a friend I graduated with from a CTI school who opted not to go the PEPC route, but wanted to do the local interview and do the security and medical exams separate.

He has not heard from the FAA since he was informed he's being tentatively selected for Denver ARTCC. No one contacted him for a local interview, and the security background screening is the longest process by far. That part could take several weeks (friends, co-workers, etc. receiving their forms that they need to submit).

I went to the Memphis PEPC in late-July and just recently I was given my OKC class date for January. If it's taking this long for me since the PEPC, I can't imagine when my friend will start training in OK.

I recommend the PEPC if you can take a few days out of your schedule to go to one. Good luck!

I would recommend going to a PEPC, especially if you are within driving distances of one.

I opted for the non-PEPC because I had a skeleton in my closet and I knew that my process would take longer than the normal Joe. Like others have said if you can make it out to one go. More than likely you will leave there with TOL in hand. My process from notification of an interview to receipt of my FOL 7 months.

If you want to start working sooner rather than later...go to a PEPC. I went non-PEPC and watched numerous people who went to a PEPC get dates long before I did. To me, that's seniority lost.

would it bet a better idea to go the "traditional" route since they're scheduling PEPCs out as far as Jan/Feb now (that is if you don't make the cut for the one in Nov in KC)? I mean that almost makes it six of one, half dozen of the other :confused:

I would go with the PEPC route.

By most accounts, PEPC makes the process several months faster. That means it's that much sooner you get slotted for OKC and that much sooner you get checked out. It could translate to an additional 6-12 months of salary at $75k+ per year. All for the low price of a coach plane ticket and a Holiday Inn room.

would it bet a better idea to go the "traditional" route since they're scheduling PEPCs out as far as Jan/Feb now (that is if you don't make the cut for the one in Nov in KC)? I mean that almost makes it six of one, half dozen of the other :confused:

I guess it all depends. The timing could really go either way. I interviewed about 2 mo after my PEPC invite, and had the TOL less than two weeks later.

However, others have waited for months for the TOL after the interview. That does put you way back, because it is all the TOL tasks that get the clearances going...... I did all my TOL tasks around the time of the MEM PEPC, and have seen many of those folks get FOLs and class dates. I am still waiting for mine.....

It is not the end of the world, but it is (i think) much more work and you do put your timeline at risk.

Well I requested to go to the KC PEPC, but I guess if I miss out on that, I will have to wait til January for the LA one, and I am freakin impatient after waiting 2 announcements longer than I should have had to :crazy:

Well I requested to go to the KC PEPC, but I guess if I miss out on that, I will have to wait til January for the LA one, and I am freakin impatient after waiting 2 announcements longer than I should have had to :crazy:

I am so happy you finally got an invite. Any idea where you are going? I am finally in Denver and have been here for about three weeks. Pretty exciting and crazy all at the same time. Take care.

Ryan

I am so happy you finally got an invite. Any idea where you are going? I am finally in Denver and have been here for about three weeks. Pretty exciting and crazy all at the same time. Take care.

Ryan

I'm headed to IND... Still was hoping for something in Atlanta, but I don't want to wash out or be a trainee til I'm 40 :crazy:

Unless you really can't make it, I would try to make a PEPC. It seems to be the FAA's preffered method and seems to go quicker.

Even if your signed up for the January LA PEPC it would still be faster?

The sad part is, probably. You may actually finish the Med test, interview, pee test, psych test, security test, etc before January, but chances are you won't get a class date before those who went to the PEPC. I think it took over a month just to get an interview scheduled and I was rushed into an interview. I watched 2 people I worked with get class dates before me because they went to the Chicago PEPC and I was unable to. Hell, the only reason I'm here in OKC now is cuz I complained a lot when they tried to change my original class date from Nov 17 to Dec 8 because they overbooked the class (apparently there was a married couple in the same class going to the same place, and since I was the only VRA, I got bumped). Then they found a class that had a guy resign (thanks to whoever you are!) and offered it to me since I didn't have to take Basics and it was only a 2 week notice. So here I am.

Oh ya, I finished my non-PEPC route late May

Back