American Check Transport?? Who are they?

dcramer16

I had put in an application for a Navajo job out of Charleston WV with American Check Transport. I'm seeing a couple red flags already and was wondering if anyone else has heard of them.

I am seeing red flags because they hired me without even an interview. They looked at my Resume and asked if I could start class on the 24th in Kansas City. Then they told me class was about 3-4 days long. That's kinda wierd to me too, cause my training here at Airnet was about 2 months long. Then I looked at the date on the advertisement and saw it was an old listing from back in Mid July I think. So I'm assuming the guy they hired in July didn't stick around long. So I'm getting a bad gut feeling about this. I would hate to move my family out to WV and have it turn out to be a shady operation. Any thoughts?

I had put in an application for a Navajo job out of Charleston WV with American Check Transport. I'm seeing a couple red flags already and was wondering if anyone else has heard of them.

I am seeing red flags because they hired me without even an interview. They looked at my Resume and asked if I could start class on the 24th in Kansas City. Then they told me class was about 3-4 days long. That's kinda wierd to me too, cause my training here at Airnet was about 2 months long. Then I looked at the date on the advertisement and saw it was an old listing from back in Mid July I think. So I'm assuming the guy they hired in July didn't stick around long. So I'm getting a bad gut feeling about this. I would hate to move my family out to WV and have it turn out to be a shady operation. Any thoughts?

I don't know much about them, except that they've been around awhile and also do some west coast stuff (with MU2s I think). Don't know anything about how shady they may or may not be, sorry.

As far as training goes, unfortunately that's not totally uncommon with a lot of 135 operators. Basically they give you enough training to check off the insurance box, and then it's OJT. Been there, done that.

Don't know what to say about being hired over the phone... I agree, it's a little weird. But I've heard of it happening more than once so it's not totally unheard of. If you're a member of PPW, I'm pretty sure there's a guy there that works for ACT. Good luck!

I hate to turn down a job in todays pilot job market. There's not a lot out there. And I would especially hate to turn it down just because of a gut feeling...lol I'm going to see if I can do a ride a long next week and check it out, but it just sounded strange.

I hate to turn down a job in todays pilot job market. There's not a lot out there. And I would especially hate to turn it down just because of a gut feeling...lol I'm going to see if I can do a ride a long next week and check it out, but it just sounded strange.

Two of the four flying jobs I have had have included interviews and job offers over the phone. I just made darn sure that I spoke to those companies about maintenance and other crucial items that I will not bend or break.
Crazy things is.... they were the two best jobs I have had...... until now.

I told the guy I would like to come out and fly with the pilot next Thursday and check it out. He sounded a bit annoyed (like he wanted an immediate commitment now) but said that would be fine. So I guess I'll check it out. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I'm not getting warm fuzzy feelings about this.

I was looking at their website and saw this.

American Check Transport’s stringent training criteria emphasis’s "Safety First". All pilots are given extensive ground and flight training that coincides with Simcom which is the most elite training program for pilots in the United States. Prior to actually assuming flight duties, all pilots are required to operate the aircraft with American Check Transport's Check Airmen supervision on the actual routes to be flown until the Check Airmen are satisfied with each pilot's proficiency levels.

A 3-4 day training program doesn't sound to me like the most elite training program for pilots in the United States, but then again, I'm still pretty new to this game! Of course it doesn't help that I just completed AirNets training program just 6 months ago, which in my opinion is the most elite training program for pilots in the US!

A 3-4 day training program doesn't sound to me like the most elite training program for pilots in the United States, but then again, I'm still pretty new to this game! Of course it doesn't help that I just completed AirNets training program just 6 months ago, which in my opinion is the most elite training program for pilots in the US!

Well, at least you've had Airnet's highly respected training program. That's a lot more than I had when I started 135. Just imagine if this was your first job after flight instructing in a 172!

Well, at least you've had Airnet's highly respected training program. That's a lot more than I had when I started 135. Just imagine if this was your first job after flight instructing in a 172!

Yeah, I bet!

I suppose I should quit whining and just be glad I got a job offer, especially in todays job market! But you know what they say, it's only worth having if it's hard to get and you have to work for it! Now imagine working at AirNet and your next job after was flying a broke down p.o.s for half as much money. Not that I'm saying thats what I would find at this company, I'm just being wary.

Of course it doesn't help that I just completed AirNets training program just 6 months ago, which in my opinion is the most elite training program for pilots in the US!

Do you know if they axed the SIC program forevermore?

I was hoping to go through AirNet's training program (been sitting in the pool for 7 months), but it looks like it was not meant to be. Oh well!

Do you know if they axed the SIC program forevermore?

I was hoping to go through AirNet's training program (been sitting in the pool for 7 months), but it looks like it was not meant to be. Oh well!

It will be awhile before the SIC programs starts again. If at all.

I knew a guy that did that run. I think it was to CVG and back. He ended up moving out to Burbank for an MU2 run. The plane is a freight plane.
I don't understand the apprehension to being hired without an interview. If you pass the training, that is the interview. If you fail, good day!
I think people think that Airnet is an industry norm when it is not. Can you fly a twin? Do you know some basic regs? Can you pass a 135 ride? Fine. Airnet thinks their poop doesn't stink. ACT is also an approved MU2 factory trainer. There would probably be the opportunity to advance.
CRW is not a bad place to live. Its very affordable and there are some nice places and of course theres the mountains and rivers of WV so there is plenty to do.
Go get a paycheck, hold off on moving the family for a couple of weeks, get a feel of the place.
Work, fly, make a living, provide for your family.

To the best of my knowledge they're just another 135 freight outfit. They crashed a couple of MU2s a few years ago and there was a big stink, but from going in depth on the accidents with guys who know the MU2 quite well, one was pilot error (guy caged the wrong engine), the other (unofficially, as the FAA will never admit to screwing up) probably had to do with a bad glideslope. I used to see one of their hos up in MDW (I think they lost the run), and it was far from pretty but totally functional.

Mu2s tend to bounce around between operators, and we leased them one of ours for a while. It came back and my boss had to sink a ludicrous amount of money in to it to get it back to his standards (which admittedly are pretty high). That said, from what I've heard there's nothing endemically bad about the operation, it's just a bottom-barrel freight op like a lot of others. I'd imagine that like a lot of other 135s, they've seen the writing on the wall and have had to shape up a bit in the last few years. If they're sending guys to Simcom, I'd say that's a good sign (not so much that Simcom is "the premiere training program"...teehee, just that it shows an attitude of putting the cowboy hat away and keeping the Federales happy). One of our guys used to fly for them and when you ask him about it he just kind of shrugs and says "you know, it's freight".

In this day and age, I'd say jump on it if it looks like their runs are going to stay around (Check hauling is changing fast). Hey, it's a yob. It might be worth remembering that if their planes were falling out of the sky on a regular basis, they wouldn't still be in business.

PS. There's supposedly a major "realignment" coming up on the 20th for the FRB runs. If you're in a position to get hired for one starting after that date, I'd even more forcefully say "try it out". A lot (more) guys may find themselves looking for employment fairly soon. I might even be one of them!

As to hiring without an interview, I was hired without one at FLX and it was a great job. My interview at my current job consisted of eating a burger with the CP and convincing him that I wasn't a dumbass, would pass his training program, and wouldn't crash his airplanes. That's how it works in freight, for the most part. Airnet's Astronaut Interview is the exception rather than the rule. Doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad job.

To the best of my knowledge they're just another 135 freight outfit. They crashed a couple of MU2s a few years ago and there was a big stink, but from going in depth on the accidents with guys who know the MU2 quite well, one was pilot error (guy caged the wrong engine), the other (unofficially, as the FAA will never admit to screwing up) probably had to do with a bad glideslope. I used to see one of their hos up in MDW (I think they lost the run), and it was far from pretty but totally functional.

Mu2s tend to bounce around between operators, and we leased them one of ours for a while. It came back and my boss had to sink a ludicrous amount of money in to it to get it back to his standards (which admittedly are pretty high). That said, from what I've heard there's nothing endemically bad about the operation, it's just a bottom-barrel freight op like a lot of others. I'd imagine that like a lot of other 135s, they've seen the writing on the wall and have had to shape up a bit in the last few years. If they're sending guys to Simcom, I'd say that's a good sign (not so much that Simcom is "the premiere training program"...teehee, just that it shows an attitude of putting the cowboy hat away and keeping the Federales happy). One of our guys used to fly for them and when you ask him about it he just kind of shrugs and says "you know, it's freight".

In this day and age, I'd say jump on it if it looks like their runs are going to stay around (Check hauling is changing fast). Hey, it's a yob. It might be worth remembering that if their planes were falling out of the sky on a regular basis, they wouldn't still be in business.

PS. There's supposedly a major "realignment" coming up on the 20th for the FRB runs. If you're in a position to get hired for one starting after that date, I'd even more forcefully say "try it out". A lot (more) guys may find themselves looking for employment fairly soon. I might even be one of them!

As to hiring without an interview, I was hired without one at FLX and it was a great job. My interview at my current job consisted of eating a burger with the CP and convincing him that I wasn't a dumbass, would pass his training program, and wouldn't crash his airplanes. That's how it works in freight, for the most part. Airnet's Astronaut Interview is the exception rather than the rule. Doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad job.

Thats the best info I'm received yet. Thanks a lot!

I have worked for ACT for around 1.5 years flying the twin honda. Good bunch of guys. Always receive a paycheck... planes are in good shape, and no uniforms. I would say jump on this... not just because I work here, but because we are expanding "big time" within the next few weeks. That is all I can say about the subject on these forums....

Lots of interest in this job though... I would say go for it... I just sent a guys resume to my boss on friday for this position.

The training might only be 3-4 days then a checkride, but the cp will likely ride with you for a week or so on the run... then cut you loose. And yes like many 135 operators we have had accidents, but that was in the past.

PM me with any additional ???'s

Also dude 888se had issues to begin with... It was used by us, not abused. I was sad to see it go though... they should have given back RH instead:)

because we are expanding "big time" within the next few weeks. That is all I can say about the subject on these forums....

First of all, props for considering "no uniform" as a major quality of life issue! Sign of the true freightdog. Second, glad to hear that y'all will be expanding. In this day and age, just holding on to what you've got is "doing well".

Also dude 888se had issues to begin with... It was used by us, not abused. I was sad to see it go though... they should have given back RH instead:)

Heh. I was talking about 950MA, and I didn't fly it before it went over there, so you have to take it with a grain of salt. I will say that it has the best autopilot I've ever seen (even the approach mode works...well!), but that's cold comfort when the engines temp out on takeoff in the middle of the winter.

On rereading my post it sounded more negative than I meant it to. I've never talked to anyone who works/has worked at ACT who wishes they didn't/hadn't. Good luck on getting the job and let us know how it works out.

I called today and asked about a job they said that they were not hiring right now but said feel free to fax a resume on over. You say ACT is expanding. Are they expanding into the midwest more? if so awesome, if not, bummer, I am tired of 14 hour days. Well, not tired of the pay, just the long hours.

Back