I need some advice...ATC Career Prep?

Bsmiller05

I'm trying to find a good study program for the AT-SAT and am wondering if this is recommended by anyone here, or if there's a better one...

http://www.asa2fly.com/product1.aspx?SID=1&Product_ID=714&

And on a side note, I'm not sure where to start, but is there a list or timeline of the steps for ATC I need to follow after I've taken the AT-SAT and that also explains all this PUBNAT3, PUBNAT4, etc stuff??

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

If you look in the Application Process sub forum there are two sticky's all about the AT SAT and people's opinions on various prep books/cds/jeremy justice.

As for the second part... do you know which PUBNAT you are?

I read the sticky on the AT-SAT and the book mentioned is the one that I linked to, so that's good to know.

As for the PUBNAT, I read that it stands for "Public National announcment" but what exactly does that mean?

As you can tell, I'm still pretty confused with the process. Ha

I read the sticky on the AT-SAT and the book mentioned is the one that I linked to, so that's good to know.

As for the PUBNAT, I read that it stands for "Public National announcment" but what exactly does that mean?

As you can tell, I'm still pretty confused with the process. Ha

The FAA posted several PUBNATs this year, 6 in all. Basically it means the position is open to the public for spots across the nation. Essentially they were targeting off the street applicants who do not have any prior experience or training with air traffic.

Did you apply for a position that did not require any prior experience/training? You can go log into your ASAP and see the announcement you applied for, the announcement number would say PUBNAT in it with a number if you indeed applied to one of those announcements.

Example of what I applied for: AAC-AMH-08-PUBNAT1-08232

I've been at this a few months now but am still lost sometimes- You can find almost anything you're looking for by searching the titles of each post. NOTE - Some posts (most) these days tend to sway from their original intent. They then become odd and sometimes personal. Not everyone is a butthead, but you may come across one or two. For the most part- ask and you shall receive and we're all fairly encouraging through this long, drawn-out process.

GOOD LUCK to ya!
AddEmoticons0411.gif

Some guy wrote an extensive guide with just about everything you'd want to know about the AT-SAT. It's stickied in the Applications subforum, but the updated version is over at Stuckmic: http://www.stuckmic.com/miscellaneous-aviation-information/892-reflections-advice-sat.html

As far as timeline goes... you can just about toss exact times out the window, as they've changed for every public announcement. However, the order hasn't differed. Roughly, the process is:

1. Apply online at ASAP.
2. Wait.
3. Receive approval to take the AT-SAT.
4. Wait.
5. Take the AT-SAT.
6. Wait.
7. Receive your AT-SAT score.
8. Wait.
9. Receive geographic preferences notice, submit them.
10. Wait.
11. Receive notification that you're on a referral list.
12. Wait.
13. Receive invitation for a PEPC (basically a day where all interviews, clearances, etc. are done together). Generally, you should take them up on the PEPC, as doing things separately can take much, much longer.
14. Wait.
15. Go to the PEPC. Usually receive a TOL (tentative offer letter) the same day.
16. Wait.
17. Receive a FOL (final offer letter), which I believe includes your Academy start date.
18. Wait.
19. Go to the Academy. Do not pass Go. Do collect Per Diem, which is, unfortunately, much less than $200.
20. Studystudystudystudystudystudystudy x 1000000.
21. At the end of the Academy, take your PV (performance evaluation). Pass, hopefully.
22. Head out to your assigned facility to complete your training.

That's assuming eveything goes well, of course. I may have left out a few waits.

Corrections welcome, I may have mixed up something... I'm just too awesome to proofread today.

I'm trying to find a good study program for the AT-SAT and am wondering if this is recommended by anyone here, or if there's a better one...

http://www.asa2fly.com/product1.aspx?SID=1&Product_ID=714&

And on a side note, I'm not sure where to start, but is there a list or timeline of the steps for ATC I need to follow after I've taken the AT-SAT and that also explains all this PUBNAT3, PUBNAT4, etc stuff??

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Yes, use that book. I am OTS and I scored a 95.8% after using that book. The software has a few bugs and a few of the answers in the book are incorrect but overall I give the book a A- ...It will prepare you for the AT-SAT for sure.

Some guy wrote an extensive guide with just about everything you'd want to know about the AT-SAT. It's stickied in the Applications subforum, but the updated version is over at Stuckmic: http://www.stuckmic.com/miscellaneous-aviation-information/892-reflections-advice-sat.html

As far as timeline goes... you can just about toss exact times out the window, as they've changed for every public announcement. However, the order hasn't differed. Roughly, the process is:

1. Apply online at ASAP.
2. Wait.
3. Receive approval to take the AT-SAT.
4. Wait.
5. Take the AT-SAT.
6. Wait.
7. Receive your AT-SAT score.
8. Wait.
9. Receive geographic preferences notice, submit them.
10. Wait.
11. Receive notification that you're on a referral list.
12. Wait.
13. Receive invitation for a PEPC (basically a day where all interviews, clearances, etc. are done together). Generally, you should take them up on the PEPC, as doing things separately can take much, much longer.
14. Wait.
15. Go to the PEPC. Usually receive a TOL (tentative offer letter) the same day.
16. Wait.
17. Receive a FOL (final offer letter), which I believe includes your Academy start date.
18. Wait.
19. Go to the Academy. Do not pass Go. Do collect Per Diem, which is, unfortunately, much less than $200.
20. Studystudystudystudystudystudystudy x 1000000.
21. At the end of the Academy, take your PV (performance evaluation). Pass, hopefully.
22. Head out to your assigned facility to complete your training.

That's assuming eveything goes well, of course. I may have left out a few waits.

Corrections welcome, I may have mixed up something... I'm just too awesome to proofread today.

I think you need to add a few more "waits" in there, plus amend #22 to read...go to your assigned facility and work even harder because there is no such thing as a 98% pass rate like in OKC.

Back