My instructor got fired.

deek

So I just got a call from my instructor and he said he got fired. No reason stated, just that his "services wern't needed anymore". This after I just passed my instrument rating this weekend and thus giving him his gold seal. They wern't even paying him (he's from scotland here on a visa working full time and flies part time so they actually pay him by giving him flight time credit, can't be here on a work visa and have more than one official job apparently). Well I've been thinking about leaving the school anyways, the prices have shot up, the planes arn't the best maintained and he was a kick ass instructor, so I'm thinking of going to where ever he ends up at. Question? I'm on a salliemae loan, so if I withdrawl from school, can I take my money on accout out of the school and go somewhere else? I'm guessing Illl have to ask sallie about this.

If he can't hold two jobs on his visa then it's just a matter of time before his next flight school (if he can get hired) lets him go for the same reason. (BTW, receiving flight time credit in lieu of cash is still considered compensation for labor, and he would have to pay income taxes on the fair market value of it just like he would if they paid him in currency.)

Personally, I think there is value to flying with a variety of instructors once you are past the solo stage. It will make you a better pilot as you experience a variety of opinions/techniques and you can pick and choose which ones will work best for you.

Leaving your school because of poor equipment / high prices is a decision you should make without considering the absence of your favorite instructor. I can't begin to tell you what SM would do -- I paid for my ratings as I went.

With regard to Sallie Mae, it's between you and the flight school how the money is handled. Did you sign any contract saying what happens if you withdraw? Sallie Mae will take your money back and put it towards the principal on your loan if the school is willing to send it back.

At my school, our policy is to give a 90% refund on funds left on account if the student decides to withdraw mid-way through a rating. If they want their money after completing a rating they get a 100% refund. They also get a 100% refund if we ask them to leave, although we've never had to do that to anybody.

If he can't hold two jobs on his visa then it's just a matter of time before his next flight school (if he can get hired) lets him go for the same reason. (BTW, receiving flight time credit in lieu of cash is still considered compensation for labor, and he would have to pay income taxes on the fair market value of it just like he would if they paid him in currency.)

Personally, I think there is value to flying with a variety of instructors once you are past the solo stage. It will make you a better pilot as you experience a variety of opinions/techniques and you can pick and choose which ones will work best for you.

Leaving your school because of poor equipment / high prices is a decision you should make without considering the absence of your favorite instructor. I can't begin to tell you what SM would do -- I paid for my ratings as I went.

We'll he's been there for a year now as an instructor and I think does an amazing job. He's kinda glad he's out now since the new owner of the school is a total arse. He fired another instructor a few weeks ago and that instructor was doing a leaseback to the school on a 172 and duchess so he took them back so now the school doesn't have a twin anymore. I would go where my instructor goes as long as it makes sense financially. The flight schools in this area differently so much price wise it's a bit nuts.

If the other school you go to is able to use Sallie Mae, you may be able to transfer funds. I had loan issues when I left my first school and had to send back the money because no other schools were approved. So one or the other will occur when you leave, just make sure you do it ASAP

Back