172S nav III checklist

Flying Bison

Anybody know if surecheck makes a checklist for the 172s nav III (g1000), I am sick of using the POH, and I cant find a simple checklist in any pilot shop, or even online for this aircraft. I have even googled for one I can just print out, and all I find are inaccurate checklists.

Spend some time in the procedures sections of the AFM/PIM and create your own.

Go through normal and emergency procedures, then check out the back of the POH to see if there's any additional info on those procedures.

Set up a logical checklist to help you get everything done. Make sure at least everything on the AFM checklist is on there, but if you want to add more, you can. Things like "check hobbs meter" or "make sure the chocks are removed!!!" won't be on a normal checklist, but sometimes we forget to do the simple things.

IMHO, that's the best way to get to know your airplane's procedures. Make sure you check out the back of the book. Often times there's more detailed information and you may be able to figure out why you're doing something instead of just doing it.

Good times for sure!

...plus you don't have to spend a lot of money to do it. Print it out and get it laminated. Cheap indeed.

-mini

We use the Checkmate checklists for the G1000 aircraft I fly.

Personally, I don't like it, but it's still infinitely better than the "How to fly a plane in 10 easy steps" approach that the Cessna POH has.

The problem with the Checkmate checklist is that it includes a bunch of nonsense that is needed for conventional panels, but doesn't apply to G1000 aircraft, such as checking the turn coordinator during taxi and making sure the heading indicator displays correctly. It overcomplicates flying the G1000.

I'm a big fan of writing your own checklist, which is what I did for my personal flying in my C140. I would produce custom checklists for my flight school, but the owner thinks it would create some sort of liability that he doesn't want to take on. Oh well, can't win 'em all...

The problem with the Checkmate checklist is that it includes a bunch of nonsense that is needed for conventional panels, but doesn't apply to G1000 aircraft, such as checking the turn coordinator during taxi and making sure the heading indicator displays correctly. It overcomplicates flying the G1000.

You still need to make sure all of that works properly.

How about using the one integrated in the G1000 and having the POH one as a backup? I havent flown a NavIII, but so far every G1000 aircraft I have flown has had an alright checklist.

None of our school airplanes have the checklist. I also think using a checklist on the screen would be kinda awkward...but that's just me.

only one of our 172 g1000 aircraft have the integrated checklist, it requires a chip that doesn't come with the system. I actually like using the integrated checklist, but its only usable once you turn the avionics on...so you cant use it for before start, and starting. also, it uses the entire MFD so you cant use any other features while running through a checklist.

I'll see if I can provide a link to the Riddle checklist somehow. I think it's online somewhere but password protected. It's comprehensive despite being flow-laden and a bit tacky.

The only real differences from the Nav II are the standby battery test, and the GPS 2 test (I never do this). The IPC accomplishes the same as in a round dial, it's just a matter of getting used to.

FlyingBison, where are you out of Buffalo? I did my training for private out of Prior/Dunkirk.

I'll see if I can provide a link to the Riddle checklist somehow. I think it's online somewhere but password protected. It's comprehensive despite being flow-laden and a bit tacky.

The only real differences from the Nav II are the standby battery test, and the GPS 2 test (I never do this). The IPC accomplishes the same as in a round dial, it's just a matter of getting used to.

FlyingBison, where are you out of Buffalo? I did my training for private out of Prior/Dunkirk.

I no longer live in buffalo (although i do miss it), I'm now in long island, outa FRG

You still need to make sure all of that works properly.

Exactly. Which is why there is the catch all "No Red Xs" check. There's no reason to make sure every instrument fits in to specific criteria. That's the beauty of the G1000, it either works or it doesn't, there's no in-between. There's none of this, "the ball doesn't swing freely," or "the heading indicator precesses" stuff going on.

Refer to the Cessna POH checklist. It calls for "Flight instruments (PFD) - CHECK (no red X's)" and that's all it says for the before takeoff check.

Back