US Customs Issues

JaceTheAce

So I was going through US Customs after arriving from my Munich flight into Philthydelphia (I was non-revving) and I got yelled out by the Customs officer that looks at the Passports because I was wearing my airline crew ID badge. As I was showing him my passport he said "remove that badge from you right now!!! If you do it again I will have my supervisor revoke your international travel benefits!!!" I responded to him in a smart-ass way that I did not know that I wasn't supposed to wear my badge throughout the terminal. I was in business casual, not in uniform. He said I was not allowed to wear my ID. It sounded like he just wanted to flex his fancy US Customs Officer muscles.

Also, in a very intimidating voice (which didn't intimidate me at all because I didn't give a damn) asked me why I went to Munich for only one night. I replied, "Oktoberfest and I had a blast!".

Anyone know where this rule was posted? I wish I wrote his badge number down to file a complaint against him.

As I was showing him my passport he said "remove that badge from you right now!!! If you do it again I will have my supervisor revoke your international travel benefits!!!"
If you had a few minutes you should have responded in a pleasant voice "Can I speak with your supervisor?". Maybe the sup would know the answer. If nothing else you could have reported to the worthless government employee that the other worthless government employee was rude. I'm sure they'd get right on solving that.

You weren't in a crew line I hope...I think that's a no-no if you're not working the flight and would potentially get the customs agent pissed.

I've never heard of that rule. The more important question though is why you were wearing your ID to begin with? Unless you were hoping to slide through the crew line I really don't see a reason to advertise you're flight crew.

Maybe it's just me, but that thing stays well hidden unless I need it for TSA/CSA/crew.

That's kinda funny. When I came back from a trip to Cancun in May I came through Philly and as I was leaving the counters a guy cme up and gave me that exact same line. Wonder if it was the same guy? I just said "Really? Ok." and then turned and walked away. He may have been right, I dunno, but I had a somewhat tight connection to make so I was in no mood to press the issue or be a wise arse.

I've never heard of that rule. The more important question though is why you were wearing your ID to begin with? Unless you were hoping to slide through the crew line I really don't see a reason to advertise you're flight crew.

Maybe it's just me, but that thing stays well hidden unless I need it for TSA/CSA/crew.

I put it on because I was immediately leaving customs to go through security again to catch a really tight connecting flight to LGA.

Long time lurker, never posted but...
Just went through JFK customs, back from Milan. In uniform, went through crew line, had to go back in line because I wasn't working the flight, I wasn't on the list. The customs usher let me in front of 120 people that were standing in the normal line though. I had my ID in my pocket...
That was my 1st time using benefits international.
I'm thinking using uniform to get through security then changing before flight is the best way.
Going to Frankfurt in October!
Also, jumping on Delta was very easy and the flight crews were great.

Well technically you're not supposed to change out of uniform if you use it to get through security. For whatever that's worth...

Never heard of the ID thing.. I'm never in uniform and always have it readily accessible but never actually wear the dang thing. Sounds to me like the guy was just being a prick. Best thing is just smile, nod, and play dumb. Works for me :)

So I was going through US Customs after arriving from my Munich flight into Philthydelphia (I was non-revving) and I got yelled out by the Customs officer that looks at the Passports because I was wearing my airline crew ID badge. As I was showing him my passport he said "remove that badge from you right now!!! If you do it again I will have my supervisor revoke your international travel benefits!!!" I responded to him in a smart-ass way that I did not know that I wasn't supposed to wear my badge throughout the terminal. I was in business casual, not in uniform. He said I was not allowed to wear my ID. It sounded like he just wanted to flex his fancy US Customs Officer muscles.

Also, in a very intimidating voice (which didn't intimidate me at all because I didn't give a damn) asked me why I went to Munich for only one night. I replied, "Oktoberfest and I had a blast!".

Anyone know where this rule was posted? I wish I wrote his badge number down to file a complaint against him.

That's a bizarre situation.

I think I'd certainly call and talk to the supervisor about the situation because that makes no sense at all.

When? I'm doing FRA all month in October. Let me know because there's a good chance you're on one of my flights.

;) You're my new favorite user!

If everything goes as planned the 7pm on the 14th looks perfect out of JFK.

That would be awesome to have an internet celeb working the flight.;)

Well technically you're not supposed to change out of uniform if you use it to get through security. For whatever that's worth...

Didn't know that...
Im guessing most people just ditch the uniform and deal with the security and lines? Does anyone travel international in uniform?

Just a few thoughts on the issue.

First, until you pass US Customs you're not "in" the US until they say so. You don't have the same rights and privleges that you do once past Customs, even though you are a legal citizen.

Crew lines, IDs and whatnot. If you're not on the GD (General Declaration), do not use the crew line, don't wear your uniform. Why not? You're not part of the crew. Again, a difference of TSA versus Customs. TSA rules are different for passengers and crews, whether you work a flight or not. Customs rules are dependent if you're "working the flight" - as in on the GD. In Hong Kong, for example, you MUST be in uniform to pass through the crew line, and on the GD. Other countries, it's only necessary to be on the GD.

As someone who travels alot internationally, dead heading and on commercial tickets, we mix stuff. If you deadhead or jumpseat on our airplanes, you always wear your uniform through customs (inbound and outbound), and we change on the plane. If we commercial, we usually go incognito, as in business casual (according to our FOM...:rolleyes:) appearal no IDs visible, and off to the lounge we go. Then again, sometimes, we never clear customs, just do a stop at the transient lounge, grab a shower, put on civies, and go to the flight.

Also, in the states, I always wear the polyester suit through security if I'm jumpseating. After getting my pass, and if I have enough time, I head to the lounge, via benefits. I'm always encouraged to change out of uniform when I'm checking into the lounge. I can't count the number of times I've changed out of the monkey suit past US security. Overseas, of course, is country dependent.

...and I'd tip-toe around Customs. Especially in the US, as they seem to be the most cantankerous. In their eyes everyone is equal, and you giving them lip, might result in your detention, and inspection of all your crap.

Why would you wear your id when you're not in uniform?

So that you can get through security without a boarding pass, which I didn't have since I was jumpseating. I had to rush through security again to catch a connecting flight to go to New York. Did you not read this part?

I never wear my costume when non-revin, and I wish I wouldn't have to wear it when deadheading either. I keep my ID in my pocket and flash it to TSA at the security check point and then it goes right back into my pocket.

You get treated a lot better when deadheading, non-reving, jumpseating, etc when in uniform then when you are in normal people clothes, IMO.

So that you can get through security without a boarding pass, which I didn't have since I was jumpseating. I had to rush through security again to catch a connecting flight to go to New York. Did you not read this part?

Yea but why would you wear your ID going through customs, it doesn't matter if you have a tight connection, you can just have it in your pocket. I guess my question is why you're so offended by the customs agent, doesn't seem like a big deal.

Yea but why would you wear your ID going through customs, it doesn't matter if you have a tight connection, you can just have it in your pocket. I guess my question is why you're so offended by the customs agent, doesn't seem like a big deal.

Because isn't the customs officer a little off base here? I mean, sure they're charged with enforcing a large number of laws, but I don't think 'no wearing an airline ID through immigration' is one of them. I don't wear my ID and/or uniform unless I absolutely have to, but there's no reason to excuse this type of behavior from a government representative (or anyone else, for that matter). Just because you're in a position of authority doesn't mean you get to make up whatever rules on the spot you want to and yell at people for not following them.

Back