Toying with a GPS logger

TUCKnTRUCK

That guy
I've been tagging a GPS datalogger around for the month, just to see how things ended up looking :)

with a few days left, this is what it looks like. There is some bad data... the long straight red lines are not normaly flights, unless they changed further on. Red means sea level, blue is higher.

The resolution of the picture is 4000x4000, so it's prob. best to download it and view. With just a month of data into and out of EWR, you can start to see well defined routes, and arrivals etc.

attachment.php

Original image here: http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn16/TUCKnTRUCK/merged.png

Attachments

• merged.jpg
    merged.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 392
I have no idea what I am looking at. Looks like maybe some YYZ turns and YUL turns maybe a BTV and a few RDUs and ORFs and BTV then possibly a PVD and a CMH? And EWR, definately Newark.

Yeah... i've got it over a map, but it's hard to really see anything of detail as the scale is so large.

RDU, GSO, MYR, PVD, ALB, BTV, PIT, PWM, MHT, BOS, EWR, DCA, ORF are in there.

For the most part i was amazed. You can really see the arrival over ALB,SAX, and then on the south, the Ruuth arrival, as well as the COL35, COL-White departure.

GPS visualizer limits you to 1.5mb... which is cool, but a 5 second interval burns 1.7 mb for me at about 80 hours of flying. I've worked with them and run the data plot at home, if i want maps i still use them.

I use the freedom 2000 keychain gps, and treo to capture the data points.

I am a little slow....after putting two and two together (the GPS logger on the dash) I just now realized that I flew with you today.

Hmm, very interesting.

What was the financial investment? I already have a treo and a 1gb memory card . . .

The freedom 2000 gps reciever was 70bucks at amazon, I use aeroPDA, the aero palm 3 gps software, which was like 160 ish... but you don't need to use it. There are many freeware, or cheap programs to record the data stream from the gps at set intervals. The aeropalm software is nice, because it shows all the small airports and cool stuff that our "FMS" doesn't bother with. I also have hblogger set up to "post" the txt field from the track log whenevr i turn on the phone to a private blog, so wife, family, etc can see where i've just gone when i land if they are so inclined. That part happens automaticaly when the phone turns on.

The waypoint feature in aeropalm is nice, as you can quickly download the newest TFR's etc, and they will be visually displayed

If anybody else starts to do something like this, or has some other form of gps track log, i would be more than happy to merge a "JC nation" map. the files just have to be Tab Diliminated format, or test. Those are the only versions i can process

Back