Scheduling through the ATC career

ATCproMatt

If I am correct, most ATC centers/towers have the same type of schedule once you are a CPC...that being you were your standard schedule of days-mids-nights with 2 consecutive regular days off?

I am more curious of how the schedule changes (if at all) before you become a CPC?

For example, I know you work roughly a 8-9 hour day at OKC with weekends off for your time there, then at your facitily you begin OJT and is that a standard schedule or does it vary by location or what?

Basically I'm trying to get a general idea of if the schedule changes based on your "title" or if it is simply the day-mid-night with 2 days off soon as you get out of OKC.

Just curious.

There was an old "super scheduling" thread on here but not sure where it is located at and I don't think it covered this specifically. Any help would be much appreciated.

i think there is a period of time where you work mornings doing book work with your training class and then once you're on the floor doing position time you work the schedule of your instructors. let me know if this is incorrect

If I am correct, most ATC centers/towers have the same type of schedule once you are a CPC...that being you were your standard schedule of days-mids-nights with 2 consecutive regular days off?

I am more curious of how the schedule changes (if at all) before you become a CPC?

For example, I know you work roughly a 8-9 hour day at OKC with weekends off for your time there, then at your facitily you begin OJT and is that a standard schedule or does it vary by location or what?

Basically I'm trying to get a general idea of if the schedule changes based on your "title" or if it is simply the day-mid-night with 2 days off soon as you get out of OKC.

Just curious.

There was an old "super scheduling" thread on here but not sure where it is located at and I don't think it covered this specifically. Any help would be much appreciated.

I think every facility has class room training prior to hitting the boards. Ours is 2-3 weeks depending on your prior experience and runs from 7am-3:30pm. Then you meet up with your trainer and follow his/her schedule. Most facilities vote for preferred days off where you keep the same two days off every week. People with more seniority like this because they get the sat/sun. New people usually get tue/wed or wed/thur. Some facilities though, like mine, rotate every few weeks. This way everyone will eventually have a few weekends off throughout the year. It's better for people with less seniority however it makes it hard to enroll in classes or get your schedule to coincide with your spouses. Each one has its benefits I guess. To answer your question though, depending on the facility you will either follow your trainer or work straight days mon-fri. When you check out you will bid a line on the schedule in order of seniority so getting in as quickly as you can is more important than most people on here think!

HD

Right. Things come up though so sometimes you may not follow them 100% of the time but most of the time you work together.

HD

When I toured my local facility I asked about the training process/work schdule and from what is said here and on previous threads is mostly true. OJT is a "follow your leader" schedule. For my facility they do an 7/8-5 m-f to start until you get checked out on the first phase.(its an up/down so it could be cab or d-sides, depends on the needs) Then you start the shift work after you have become some what reliable:buck:. At my Facility they are on a rotating schedule with no apparent shift shifts... Day one starts at 4pm
Day two starts at 2pm
Day three starts at 10am
Day four starts at 6am then come back at 11pm finish the week around 6am day five.
Day 6/7-Off

Back