Age limit for an Airline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kmaceri

Well two days ago, I went to my a small airliner at my local airport that takes people all over the southeast as well as a new taxi service to Atlanta Hartfield. Which is 20 minutes from our airport by air. I was recommended by two employees that work at the airliner called Wings Air for there new FO program. Its a training program and non-paid FO position, all we need is multi-commercial which I have. I sat down with the chief pilot, had a good interview and was accepted only to find out right after by a lady dispacther working there that there I was to young to work for them. The chief pilot never heard of it, but postponed my paperwork until he finds out if it was true. I'm 18 years old and I would think since I am a commercial pilot, which means I can fly for hire, I should be able to fly for them. Unless maybe insurance or policy, but if it was a policy then the chief pilot should of known that from the start. Anyone have an answer or input???

Oh yeah, there operations are part 135, but I think they might switch to 121.

Hey its a good way to build hours and good experience to put down on a resume. Better than renting a multi engine airplane. Plus I own my own lawn care business so I get a good income.

Its no different than working for the local ma and pa's burger shop for free, just so you can earn enough burger flipping time to get hired at McDonalds. Places like these drag down the profession more than it already is.

Get your CFI and MEI and teach. Then you can put that on your resume. You will learn as much if not more than your first few students and you will arm yourself with the skills needed to safely and confidently move on up the professional ladder.

Hey its a good way to build hours and good experience to put down on a resume. Better than renting a multi engine airplane. Plus I own my own lawn care business so I get a good income.
unless it goes under your volunteer service section of your resume. there are already enough people who will work for crap pay "just to build time" you are gonna do it for free!

i'm sorry but when i am trying to find a decent paying job it is hard when there are too many people will to work for free or almost nothing to just build time. I don't care if you CFI, banner tow, aerial photography, doesn't really matter to me, just don't do it for nothing! have a sense of what it means to be a "professional", hence your commercial certificate means you are a professional. have some pride, that is all!

Insurance requirements might say that you need an ATP to act as PIC. In that case your 5 years away from being legal to get your ATP. Sitting in the right seat not getting paid for 5 years is going to suck.

Its one thing to hang out at the FBO and try to bum some twin time off a guy that has one, or maybe you know a guy who flies a Navajo single pilot some land surveying but wouldnt mind bringing you along. But to act as a crew-member? For free? Talk about prostituting yourself.

I just got thru posting on another forum about EXACTLY this type of mentality that is destroying this profession. Go ahead and work for free for some multi-time.

Then go ahead and get "hired" by some regional and work for free to get some twin turbine time.. then upgrade for free and work as a Kapt. for some free PIC twin turbine time so you can advance to the majors and accept some crappy pay-rate to fly a "big plane". The majors arent nearly as desirable to work for as they once were, either. Especially after all the concessions they gave into which they gave away a lot of things they will never see again.

Would you work at the grocery store pushing carts for free? Then why do you insist on doing it with flying? This is the reason why I am not going to make more then 18,000$ this year flying for a regional airline, this type of mentality is what keeps dragging the profession down further and further. This type of mentality is why there were Captains flying A320s for 65k a year. When will it stop??

Oh goodness. . .Non-paid FO position?

I sure hope you stop rationalizing this as something that is a positive to the profession and industry.

Then again, looks like you're an off the street potential hire for the FAA. Undercutting two professions now huh? Maybe I've got you pegged wrong, stereotypes and all. . .but please for the life of actual professional pilots, do not ever accept a flying gig without being paid.

Well it isnt long term so I don't mind, I don't want to instruct and the only way to get my time is to do this and other gigs.

Talk about the scam of the century. This should be illegal and whomever runs companies like this should be thrown in jail for a very long time, IMO. Just the thought that a company could get away with not paying their crewmembers just by calling it "training" makes me sick. If I'm ever in a position to hire someone, if I see anything on a resume that shows an applicant "worked" for free (unless it's legitimate charity/volunteer work), I will never hire that person, ever.

I guess one of two things is true:

1) You're not really seriously considering this and are just trying to start a fire on this forum by posting flamebait. (nice job)

or,

2) You are seriously clueless on this business and are letting people take unfair advantage of you. With mentoring and a few more years of growing up, this condition is curable. Dude, you're 18--go to college!

That's my opinion. Now to answer your question, I know there are airlines that require you to be 20 or 21 to go fly for them; I'm not sure why that's legal but I guess it is. I thought as long as you were at least 18, a company isn't even supposed to ask you your age as part of the hiring process--that's age discrimination.

2) With mentoring and a few more years of growing up, this condition is curable. Dude, you're 18--go to college!

That's good advice. Without a college degree, you may get hired at a part 121 regional after your "training," but without one, the door to a legacy / global carrier will in all probability never open.

If you go through with this just make sure you don't come back after a few years and complain about how crappy the pay is wherever your at.

No I don't CFI at all, I finished my multi commercial over at the flight school. Yes, im going to college, but I was thinking this program would give me a step in the company's door in the future. By the way the FO's will not fly everyday full time, so its not like im out everyday flying for free. Maybe once a week, if even.

No I don't CFI at all, I finished my multi commercial over at the flight school. Yes, im going to college, but I was thinking this program would give me a step in the company's door in the future. By the way the FO's will not fly everyday full time, so its not like im out everyday flying for free. Maybe once a week, if even.

Wingsair is not somewhere you want to work at. When I get back in town maybe I will try to put together a M&G on the north side.

I believe Ron White had a quote for just this occasion. Something about, "You just can't fix stupid."

Yeah. . .I think that's it.

Along with me clearly using the incorrect Your / You're usage.

;) His mind is made up, not much else we can do. We tried.

Lead a horse to water, but can't force it to drink.

Catch a fish for a man, he'll eat well for one night. Teach the man to fish, he'll eat well for his life.

Whatever. . .moving on to the next I'm going to fly for FREE person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back