AD Question...Rebuilt, New, or Overhauled?

HeyEng

So I wake up this morning to a nice e-mail from the FAA letting me know about a new engine AD 2008-19-05. It has something to do with the cylinder heads and having to have 50 hour inspections done (ouch!). Now the question that I have is this:

The AD states: "If your engine has not been overhauled or had any cylinder assemblies replaced since new, no further action is required."

The engine I have installed has this statement in the log book (from Textron Lycoming) "This engine has been overhauled/rebuilt in accordance with applicable...blah, blah, blah". The original service tag indicates "remanufactured/rebuilt" and NOT "overhauled". The engine came from the factory.

With this information, is this engine considered "new" or "overhauled"? None of the cylinders have been replaced (only removed/reinstalled due to broken studs). I am thinking that it would be considered "new" but I'm not A&P and would appreciate any input!!!

Also, the AD says it can be difficult to read the cylinder P/Ns...any tricks to seeing those on the 0-320???

So I wake up this morning to a nice e-mail from the FAA letting me know about a new engine AD 2008-19-05. It has something to do with the cylinder heads and having to have 50 hour inspections done (ouch!). Now the question that I have is this:

The AD states: "If your engine has not been overhauled or had any cylinder assemblies replaced since new, no further action is required."

The engine I have installed has this statement in the log book (from Textron Lycoming) "This engine has been overhauled/rebuilt in accordance with applicable...blah, blah, blah". The original service tag indicates "remanufactured/rebuilt" and NOT "overhauled". The engine came from the factory.

With this information, is this engine considered "new" or "overhauled"? None of the cylinders have been replaced (only removed/reinstalled due to broken studs). I am thinking that it would be considered "new" but I'm not A&P and would appreciate any input!!!

Also, the AD says it can be difficult to read the cylinder P/Ns...any tricks to seeing those on the 0-320???

My guess is that if the engine was rebuilt and "zero-timed" by Textron Lycoming that they would use Lycoming cylinders rather than ECI cylinders, which are the affected ones, but you never can tell. As far as I can remember the part numbers & serial numbers should be engraved on the cylinder base flange of each cylinder, but yes, they are hard to read in a lot of cases without major disassembly.

I wish engine builders would record that stuff in their entries... it would save a lot of headache :(

Back