Checkrides at ATP

Revolutionist

If one is doing the 90 day Airline Career Pilot Program and is based in Richmond, then is are all checkrides conducted at the airport at which you are based out of?

Or are checkrides sometimes scheduled at another ATP location?

Checkrides will be done at your ‘home’ location. The only exception will be for your CFI checkride. Your CFI intial will be somewhere in Florida and you can then do your II, and single engine add-on back in Richmond.
Good luck and have fun!

If one is doing the 90 day Airline Career Pilot Program and is based in Richmond, then is are all checkrides conducted at the airport at which you are based out of?

Or are checkrides sometimes scheduled at another ATP location?

ATP Richmond sometimes used a DE who is based out of an airport just outside of the RIC class C. If you use him, you'll fly the Seminole with your instructor to him.

Checkrides will be done at your ‘home’ location. The only exception will be for your CFI checkride. Your CFI intial will be somewhere in Florida and you can then do your II, and single engine add-on back in Richmond.
Good luck and have fun!

I've seen more then a few people, including myself, that got the CMEL at the CFI location, not the "home" location.

When I was in Atlanta, we had a few guys from Richmond come for the MEI initial. One Richmond guy also did his CMEL in Atlanta also.

They all went back to Richmond for the other ratings.

ATP will either Seminole you down to CFI school, or possibly airline you down (if you're lucky).

Going to Stuart, FL, my only checkrides done at home were my SEL CAX, and CFI.
MEL PVT, and IRA were done at 2IS, everything else at FLL with Pinkston.
Personally, if you're lucky, you get to fly a seminole to your checkride, thats more ME time that ATP gives you. Couple of times I had to DRIVE to FLL from SUA, that really sucked.

I went through ATP in ATL. I only took my PPL at my home airport. My MEI was done down in FLL and all of the rest were done at KMDQ. I flew the seminole to all of my checkrides away from home.

Personally, if you're lucky, you get to fly a seminole to your checkride, thats more ME time that ATP gives you. Couple of times I had to DRIVE to FLL from SUA, that really sucked.

When I did seminole out to different places for checkrides, ATP did not give me any additional time. They cut off your cross countries about 10 hours short for this purpose. If it looks like you are going to go over 135 ME, they will put you in the back while an instructor and another student fly you out to wherever your checkride is.

I airlined from ATL to FLL and back. And I was thrilled to not have to seminole down there. After the MEI was passed, it was great to just go to the terminal, have a $8 beer at the airport bar and leave the flying to AirTran.

When I did seminole out to different places for checkrides, ATP did not give me any additional time. They cut off your cross countries about 10 hours short for this purpose. If it looks like you are going to go over 135 ME, they will put you in the back while an instructor and another student fly you out to wherever your checkride is.

I airlined from ATL to FLL and back. And I was thrilled to not have to seminole down there. After the MEI was passed, it was great to just go to the terminal, have a $8 beer at the airport bar and leave the flying to AirTran.

Yea, they def. do NOT give you any extra time. I know in RAL when we would go to Cable for our checkride, the time it took to get over there would come out of our 2 hour checkride block.

Guys, they do give you extra time, as in, USING those 10 hours. If you fly to checkrides or not, they cut you short on 10 hours. So you either use them or you don't! And if you don't, well I hope you saved ALL your tracker sheets so you can call up dispatch and say, "Hey whats up? I am 10 hours short, you owe me more X/C time." You better have those tracker sheets though. Or you can fly to check rides, which is easier than having to prove to ATP that you have 10 hours left.

Bill H,
Your previous quote is blatantly false. You sure have changed...:confused:
I don't know how you think that you have a right to say my experiences are false. I ended with about 138 hours of ME time. Had I not flown to certain check rides, I would of had less ME time. And how can you call it false when two of my SUA classmates did exactly that, they came back and flew about 10 hours of what they had left after they proved to dispatch they were owed more time because they had the dispatch sheets.
Maybe ATP has changed since I left but what I said is true for when I was there. Blatantly false? Kleigh, I think you need to think before you type, and realize that maybe you don't know it all...

ATP hasn't changed in that respect. they TRY to stop you at 135 hours, and with some people, they succeed. hell, they tried to stop me at 134. after i got all three CFI's, i had 8.8 hours left to get. knocked off 4 with a short trip, then on the last day i went from RIC to TTN and they said go back to richmond and i would be done. i said no, i wouldnt, how bout i go to RDU. so they put me on hold and came back and said go ahead and file to durham. then i pulled the throttles back :)

ATP hasn't changed in that respect. they TRY to stop you at 135 hours, and with some people, they succeed. hell, they tried to stop me at 134. after i got all three CFI's, i had 8.8 hours left to get. knocked off 4 with a short trip, then on the last day i went from RIC to TTN and they said go back to richmond and i would be done. i said no, i wouldnt, how bout i go to RDU. so they put me on hold and came back and said go ahead and file to durham. then i pulled the throttles back :)

Similar thing with me. I finished up my SE CFI and then did an out-and-back from FTY to Jasper. That brought me up to 136.

BillH-
I never said I knew it all. Quit being childish. I know what I know, because I work there and work with the students every day and with dispatch every day. You are stopped short, but not to cheat you as you imply. You are stopped because many students struggle with the MEI/ CFII ratings and need extra time. (Sound familiar?) This way they get it without going over program costs. Paying for extra time is difficult if not impossible for those who have already borrowed a lot of money for the education. You should know that. I have seen a lot at ATP. I dont like it all, but they arent out to cheat you. If they did they would let you fly out your XC and nail you for extra flight time which is more expensive. Just think about it. I have never known dispatch to argue with a student who had time coming unless there was a legitimate disagreement with time. And I have never heard of someone being sent away without time they paid for. AND, I have seen on a weekly basis ATP eat flight time to get someone an hour or two extra to succeed. I have personally talked to JimK many times and had him say just that. So, maybe you should think before you type....

All that being said, ATP advertises 190 hours of ME. 50 of that is in the FTD. Then there is that clause in the training contract that says +-5 hours.

How many guys come out of ATP with 145 hours in the Seminole? I have never heard of anyone breaking 140.

I also had to fight with Dispatch to get the hours I was promised. +/- 5 hours huh? Yeah right, always -5 hours!

Anyone who doesn't believe ATP is out to try to finish your program for the absolute minimum cost possible is drinking some serious Kool Aid.

Back