Motivation and Assistance . . .

Silae

While I do indeed agree that money should not be primary motivator when choosing a career, let's face it . . . it's the money that does the talking. The FAA needs new ATC's for reasons which I'm sure we are all aware.

According to some of the opinions I've read in this entire board, I will say that I am quite humbled when I realize the amount of stress people will put themselves through in order to have the best chance possible for becoming an ATC. For some it is a lifelong dream and for others, it is simply a job.

For me, I will say it is a combination of both. But for someone to question another person's motivation behind applying for this position is, in my opinion, literally unprofessional and downright rude.

The FAA knows that money does the talking, especially when trying to recruit for a position which a majority of the world knows already, is one of the most stressful in America. But let's not pretend that money is not a motivator. I don't know any ATC's, but I'm sure that there are some of them out there who can say the same thing I have said twice before in this post alone: the money does the talking. If that wasn't the case, then the FAA wouldn't have listed the upward salary as being in the six-figure range.

We read references and look up test scores, mock AT-SAT's, look through message boards ( like this one, of course ) and can find a wealth of information at our fingertips. We are here to help each other, not bring someone down because their motivation is different from ours. Let's not lose sight of that.

While I agree with you on some levels, some veteran controllers and current CTI graduates find it offensive that an off the street applicant complains about the pay when they actually have formal training. Becoming an air traffic controller is something that they went to school for and they were actually passionate about, and had a strong desire to do. So I can see it from both sides!

While I agree with you on some levels, some veteran controllers and current CTI graduates find it offensive that an off the street applicant complains about the pay when they actually have formal training. Becoming an air traffic controller is something that they went to school for and they were actually passionate about, and had a strong desire to do. So I can see it from both sides!

Is that to say that non CTI graduates are not passionate about air traffic controlling. I decided to get a bachelors degree in nursing, became a nurse, and did it for a while. That's not to say I didn't have any passion for air traffic controlling or general aviation for that matter. I proposed to my wife off of 35C at KDFW!:buck: I just decided since the FAA would take applicants OTS, I might as well get a Bachelors degree in Nursing. Although the vets and CTI grads may be offended that "OTS'ers" complain about pay, its not to say the OTS'ers are the only ones who complain about it. We all do, including the president of NATCA. (I do see your point though)....Sure the pay isn't as good as it used to be, if you dont like it, take a hike. But the implications of your post, being the two things of A: OTS applicants don't have a right to complain like the others and B: Only vets and CTI grads have passion about this career is quite a loaded argument. Perhaps we should say that those who truly have the passion of aviation, regardless if their CTI or OTS, will remain in the area no matter the pay. (To some extent, a brothas gotta feeds his kids). And we're entitled to gripe about it. That's what bargainers do! :rawk:

Is that to say that non CTI graduates are not passionate about air traffic controlling. I decided to get a bachelors degree in nursing, became a nurse, and did it for a while. That's not to say I didn't have any passion for air traffic controlling or general aviation for that matter. I proposed to my wife off of 35C at KDFW!:buck: I just decided since the FAA would take applicants OTS, I might as well get a Bachelors degree in Nursing. Although the vets and CTI grads may be offended that "OTS'ers" complain about pay, its not to say the OTS'ers are the only ones who complain about it. We all do, including the president of NATCA. (I do see your point though)....Sure the pay isn't as good as it used to be, if you dont like it, take a hike. But the implications of your post, being the two things of A: OTS applicants don't have a right to complain like the others and B: Only vets and CTI grads have passion about this career is quite a loaded argument. Perhaps we should say that those who truly have the passion of aviation, regardless if their CTI or OTS, will remain in the area no matter the pay. (To some extent, a brothas gotta feeds his kids). And we're entitled to gripe about it. That's what bargainers do! :rawk:
I meant no harm in my post! I just wrote what I felt and what I have observed. By the way I am an off the street applicant, but I am sympathetic to the plights and woes of veteran controllers/CTI graduates. It helps me to be completely aware of a situation that I desire to be a part of. And I dont think I said anywhere in my post that anyone did not have a right to vent/complain/rant about the current pay. Again I am an off the street applicant as well, and yes I am totally bummed about the pay as well, I just internalize my issues regarding the starting pay! Good luck to everyone and by all means continue to write about whatever inspires you, thats what this forum is for, right?

I don't think it has anything to do with the passion issue. The idea is that IF you are going to apply for the job, then don't complain about the pay. By applying, and then accepting the job, you are appeasing the FAA. You are basically saying that the pay is OK. I don't think CTI (me) students should complain either. Ill admit that I would like a higher salary, but if I am going to apply, then I am not going to complain.

I don't think it has anything to do with the passion issue. The idea is that IF you are going to apply for the job, then don't complain about the pay. By applying, and then accepting the job, you are appeasing the FAA. You are basically saying that the pay is OK. I don't think CTI (me) students should complain either. Ill admit that I would like a higher salary, but if I am going to apply, then I am not going to complain.
I second that emotion as well.......

Furthermore, I don't think anyone can whine about the money because they can't afford to live in the area they ACCEPTED A JOB IN.

I meant no harm in my post! I just wrote what I felt and what I have observed. By the way I am an off the street applicant, but I am sympathetic to the plights and woes of veteran controllers/CTI graduates. It helps me to be completely aware of a situation that I desire to be a part of. And I dont think I said anywhere in my post that anyone did not have a right to vent/complain/rant about the current pay. Again I am an off the street applicant as well, and yes I am totally bummed about the pay as well, I just internalize my issues regarding the starting pay! Good luck to everyone and by all means continue to write about whatever inspires you, thats what this forum is for, right?

Sorry man, I wasn't trying to sound that way. It's hard to interpret emotions on this forum. It was just a friendly debate comment :). Thanks for clarifying what you meant though. :)

Being realistic. I have never witnessed any people / groups be it front line or corporate personnel that truly think they are getting paid what they think they should (or wouldn't like to have more money). That said, why should ATC / FAA be any different?

You cannot really say without a doubt from anyones comments that dollar signs are their bottom line... pay is the most common grounds for complaints and I am sure it will continue forever and ever no matter what line of work or pay band/grade you're in.

As John Stossel would say... "Gimme a break!"

ETA: After re reading it appears I am being a little biased toward "it's okay to bitch about pay". Truth be known when I hold round tables/focus groups and people bring up pay, I really want to throw myself across the table, grab their necks and squeeze the life out. So, there, no I am being fair and balanced... carry on.

I was told that 90% of the world doesn't have this combination

1.) Roof over their head
2.) Clothes on their back
3.) Food in the fridge
4.) 20 dollars in their pocket

So be thankful everyday to the lord :)

Back