Sleep Schedule. Better for Towers than everyone else?

Rooster

http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/transeng/downloads/transeng_eps8107.pdf

I used to be under the impression that no matter what kind of controller you were, you'd be working every kind of hour on every kind of day come rain or shine - at least until I saw the document above revealing that the Lunken Airport Air Traffic Control Tower's "Hours of Operation" are from 7:00 a.m. – 11:00 p.m and that after hours operation is handled by CVG.

What does this mean? Does this refer only to "business hours" during which you can call the tower, or does it mean that controllers at Lunken Tower will only ever work between these hours and can count on having the other 8 hours of the day for sleep?

You can look up the Tower's hours of operation. Go to http://www.naco.faa.gov/pdfs/ec_203_31JUL2008.pdf . If you look under Communications it gives a Tower frequency and in parentheses the hours of operation (1200-0400Z). Plus it appears to be a contract tower. In many cases, smaller satellite airports may close for the night and come under the jurisdiction of a nearby, larger airport or even the ARTCC.

http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/transeng/downloads/transeng_eps8107.pdf

I used to be under the impression that no matter what kind of controller you were, you'd be working every kind of hour on every kind of day come rain or shine - at least until I saw the document above revealing that the Lunken Airport Air Traffic Control Tower's "Hours of Operation" are from 7:00 a.m. – 11:00 p.m and that after hours operation is handled by CVG.

What does this mean? Does this refer only to "business hours" during which you can call the tower, or does it mean that controllers at Lunken Tower will only ever work between these hours and can count on having the other 8 hours of the day for sleep?

It means the tower closes between 1100-0700. CVG approach handles the traffic in/out of there during those times.

From a pilot's standpoint, it means that the field is uncontrolled and reverts to class E (surface) airspace. If I'm flying VFR, it means I make traffic calls on CTAF (usually the same as the tower frequency) and takeoff or land at my own discretion.

Towers at the primary airport in class B airspace and some in class C are usually 24/7 operations.

most FAA towers are open 24hrs.

Not trying to be a smart ass, but where do you get that information? Yes, busy facilities are always open, but a great number of level 8's and below and maybe even some 9's close up shop around 1100ish or 1200.

Not trying to be a smart ass, but where do you get that information? Yes, busy facilities are always open, but a great number of level 8's and below and maybe even some 9's close up shop around 1100ish or 1200.

well i was given a level 5 tower (24 hours)
switched to a level 7 tower (24 hours)

i admit my experience is limited to airports in the midwest. but as a pilot i've flown pretty much everywhere in ND, SD, MN, MI, WI and everything ~lvl 7 traffic tends to be 24 hrs.

i realize a lot of lower traffic level towers close. but id say the majority of towers in general are continuous operation :eek:

that's my experience, anyways. if i'm wrong feel free to correct me.

i admit my experience is limited to airports in the midwest. but as a pilot i've flown pretty much everywhere in ND, SD, MN, MI, WI and everything ~lvl 7 traffic tends to be 24 hrs.

i realize a lot of lower traffic level towers close. but id say the majority of towers in general are continuous operation :eek:

Grand Forks Tower is not open the whole day. We are very busy with lots of student traffic and contract students.

Air Traffic Controller's motto----If the clouds are low and thick, pick up the phone and call in sick.

.....Making note of this right now.....

cloud.gif
=
sad4.gif

Acey, the "Communication" info from the naco website is helpful, but not as comprehensive as I would like. I'm less concerned with when certain frequencies are being used or not, and am focused more on learning when tower controllers will actually be at their job.

It looks like the next step is finding a comprehensive list of part-time and full-time towers or at least a way to deduce which towers are which.

Acey, the "Communication" info from the naco website is helpful, but not as comprehensive as I would like. I'm less concerned with when certain frequencies are being used or not, and am focused more on learning when tower controllers will actually be at their job.

It looks like the next step is finding a comprehensive list of part-time and full-time towers or at least a way to deduce which towers are which.

I will defer to ATLTRACON, but my understanding is that the hours next to the frequency refer to the hours of operation as that frequency is only monitored during those hours. Outside of those hours, as someone else mentioned it can either be an uncontrolled airport or control may be handed over to another facility (CVG) or an ARTCC which would be at a different frequency. If you go to the Airport/Facilities Directory most towers will have the hours next to their frequency OR may say attended continously or something to that effect. If anyone else better understands this, please chime in.

according to airnav AZO closes at 11pm

Out of the 24 FAA towers in the 5 states you've flown pretty much everywhere in, only seven are operated 24/7. MSP, DTW, MKE, LAN, YIP, FAR, DLH

I will defer to ATLTRACON, but my understanding is that the hours next to the frequency refer to the hours of operation as that frequency is only monitored during those hours. Outside of those hours, as someone else mentioned it can either be an uncontrolled airport or control may be handed over to another facility (CVG) or an ARTCC which would be at a different frequency. If you go to the Airport/Facilities Directory most towers will have the hours next to their frequency OR may say attended continously or something to that effect. If anyone else better understands this, please chime in.

As I mentioned earlier, if the tower is not open 24/7, the tower frequency reverts to CTAF/Unicom and it operates like an uncontrolled field. Now, what happens in terms of the local TRACON or ARTCC is concerned is that they will handle clearance delivery, which is ordinarily handled by the data controller up in the cab. But they have no control over take-offs and landings, apart from releasing IFR departures and coordinating arrivals, which is what they'd do at any other uncontrolled field.

When it refers to it being "attended continuously" it is referring to ANYONE being at the airport, which could be as little as a security guard hanging out at the FBO. There are a good many airports out there that apart from the folks that fly in and out of them, there's usually nobody else to be found, save the critters (and alligators...personal experience!) hanging around.

I will be at a lvl 9 that is open 700-2300 due to noise restrictions. Rich folks in the OC can't have planes flying taking of and landing in the middle of the night :rolleyes: Joe28 staffing is set according to the hours of operation so yes we get at least 40 hours.

Back