On-Line Classes

OnTheFly7

Other than ER or UVSC, does any one have any other suggestions as to which colleges may offer on-line degrees within the realm of aviation? I am looking for a school that may offer credit towards ratings as well as one who offers a variety of majors in which to choose from.

Even though Lewis is about 25 min. from the house, I don't think I want to drop the coin for a private institution, especially at this stage of the game. I am going to looking into Purdue later today, however, I would assume they would be quite expensive.

Any info. would be appreciated. Thanks in advance and stay safe!

I would imagine that UND has something along those lines. Also I know Delta State University has online master's in aviation, though I don't know about bachelor's.

note: whenever i have signed up for online classes they have always been waaaay harder and WAAAAY more work than actually physically attending a class.

/my 2 cents.

note: whenever i have signed up for online classes they have always been waaaay harder and WAAAAY more work than actually physically attending a class.

/my 2 cents.

I felt the same way. I think its more of a personal thing really. Some people do better face to face, some can do it on their own.

I like being in front of a teacher and getting the face time. I feel like in College if you get to know the teacher a bit, and talk with them, your grades seem to go up. Especially in subjects like English where it can be very opinionated.

my penny thrown onto the 2 cents above.

Online classes is all preference and convenience but sometimes the only option you have due to a very busy work/flyt training schedule.

For gereral ed classes, National University seems to be OK, I say ok because it's 1,100 dollars a class, but they are excelerated, and you get done in a month. It's one class every month. They have a great financial aid program that covers if not all, most of the cost of classes. website is http://nu.edu/ (damm i sound like the damm commercial on the radio)! lol..

I know Embry Riddle offers online classes as well. I have a buddy that got his BS through ER online. He told me they also offer great financial aid. Here is the site: http://www.erau.edu/ec/online_education.html

Yes the work load is alot more when taking a online class, I guess per some kind of education law, or to meet the requirments of the school, the workload needs to exceed vs what you would be doing if attending class. A teacher told me this. The main reason is moreless your teaching yourself, reading 3-6 hours a day would clearly justify that! Haha..

I'm not too fond of online classes but hey between working full time, flying, studying for flying, online classes are convenient, but is A FULL TIME JOB SUNDAY-SATURDAY in most casses. You miss one day of an online class, your pretty much now two days behind. Make sure you can make time to fit it into your busy life, and if so, stay on top of it!

Hope any of this helps. :)

I appreciate the responses thus far. One reason for my thinking about on-line classes is because there are not very many schools in the area that offer a program which interests me. The other reason is that I am busy with full time work, etc.

If I can find the right program I think the on-line deal is the way I am going to go. I may look into Lewis a bit more, however, I am not sure that I want to spend that type of money for a degree. I will not fly with their program because of the stories that I have hear regarding never finishing for a multitude of reasons.

Right now I think I am leaning towards ER but I have more research to do.

Would it be advisable to find a school that fits my needs but at the same time is cost efficient. I guess, should I apporach this the same as earning ratings? Go where it is cheaper.

I understand that a check in the box is all that matters, however, does a better institution equate to a better opportunity as it does in say, business?

Everglades University. All classes online and you take one class per month.

How is everglades? I was signed up there, but ended up deciding to do actual classes at JC around here...i'm contemplating starting back up though?

I never had one problem with Everglades, classes are very fun and yet to find a challenging class for me. I took a trip to see their campus, thinking of transferring down for my senior year. Saw a wicked storm and haven't been back yet.

After searching the internet I have found that there are very few big name national schools who offer an undergraduate degree online. Most institutions that offer the undergrad. degree online are small schools, most of whom I would guess, most people have never heard of.

When pursuing a post-graduate degree the options really open up and allow one to choose from a variety of schools.

I think I am going to finish my Associates at the local CC (since they are $108 a credit hour). Perhaps I can start my flight training while doing the Associates program. Once the Associates has been completed, I will look to finish the undergrad. at UVU or another school. I just do not want to have an undergrad. degree from an institution that gets a reputation of producing degrees for pilots only.

I really wish I could get an undergrad. in Finance or Turf Sciences, however, no one offers this that I can find. Oh well!

At least here in Utah, UVU is NOT considered a school that produces pilots only. A lot of business, accounting and other degrees are offered through not only the campus but the worldweb campus as well. I don't know what the out-of-state cost is, but for those in Utah, the cost is extremely comparable to local community colleges.

Are you looking at just aviation degrees or are there other degrees that are of interest?

At first I was thinking of an Aviation degree, however, after careful consideration and following the JC boards, I have opted against it. It may interest me and be worth my while for a career as a pilot. However, I would like to have as many possibilities as possible outside of aviation should I need to do something else.

After more research on the internet yesterday I think I may become a Beaver or a Nittny Lion. Oregon State offers an undergrad. degree fully online in Natural Resources (and I can specialize in Fisheries and Wildlife). Penn State offers an undergrad degree fully online in Turf Management. Both of those areas interest me and both would keep me working outdoors.

Oregon State is $207 a credit hour for the online degree ($100 more a credit hour than my local community college) and I believe that Penn State is just a bit more! So right now those are the two that I am looking at. Both offer opportunities to pursue a Masters down the line!

University of Phoenix Online offers many different courses. I just started their Finance program after transferring from another university. The down side is that they don't give credit for pilot licenses and ratings. The up side is that you can major in something outside of aviation in case you get furloughed.

Back