How does the travel reimbursement work?

ATC2B

Hi everybody I am heading to OKC for the enroute basics class starting on 10/10/08. I am traveling from Phoenix and I am driving so obviously it will be a pretty expensive trip, although gas is going down lately.

How do I get reimbursed for travel to OKC? Do they have a set amount they pay from every city or do I need to turn in gas and hotel receipts? Also if anybody has already received the reimbursement, how long did it take? Thanks for the help.

Hi everybody I am heading to OKC for the enroute basics class starting on 10/10/08. I am traveling from Phoenix and I am driving so obviously it will be a pretty expensive trip, although gas is going down lately.

How do I get reimbursed for travel to OKC? Do they have a set amount they pay from every city or do I need to turn in gas and hotel receipts? Also if anybody has already received the reimbursement, how long did it take? Thanks for the help.

Word on the street is that they will only give you what it would have cost them to buy you a government rate plane ticket from your place of origin to OKC there and back. There are some other threads wandering around in the forums that might give more detail.

Based on mileage they figure how much it would cost to drive and compare that to the plane ticket. On your first per-diem check (aprox. 20-32 days after you arive) you get half of which ever cost less for the government. The other half comes on your last per-diem check. I got $330 on my first per-diem check and will get another $330 on the last.

Does anybody know what the mileage rate is? I'm trying to figure out if I will be flying or driving from Cleveland, OH. I had seen a post a while back that had it around 32 cents per mile but that was months ago and I can't find the post or current mileage rates.

Any insight is helpful.

Thank You.

Does anybody know what the mileage rate is? I'm trying to figure out if I will be flying or driving from Cleveland, OH. I had seen a post a while back that had it around 32 cents per mile but that was months ago and I can't find the post or current mileage rates.

Any insight is helpful.

Thank You.

I'm driving from Cleveland, OH. The way I looked at is was I would have to pay to have certain things shipped to OKC from Cleveland that I could not take on an airplane without getting charged an extra $200. Originally when I figured the gas alone out... 35 mpg car with $4.00 gas would be around $120 in gas. if your figure is 32 cents per mile you are near $340 for that mileage. Personally for me that makes it a $460 trip. Looking at the opportunity cost of having my car and my stuff though rules out flying for me.

Why would it not be the IRS set rate of 50.5 cents/mile?

Also, for those that would just rather not drive and are concerned about the added cost of excess luggage, this is on the FAQ listed in the sticky...

5. How do I get to Oklahoma City (OKC) for training? After receipt of your firm offer of employment, you are authorized to call American Express at 1-800/423-7458 and book airfare to OKC. The airfare will be at no cost to you. If you choose to drive, you will be reimbursed for your actual expenses not to exceed the cost FAA would have paid for your flight to OKC.

6. Will I be reimbursed for “Excess or Overweight Baggage” charges by the airline? Yes. You can claim reimbursement by providing a receipt along with other travel documentation when you submit your travel voucher for reimbursement.

Back